Senior Scientist - Protein Sciences
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Protein Sciences, the Senior Scientist will be responsible for the production and delivery of a wide variety of proteins as well as day to day supervision and training of more junior members of the team.
We are looking for someone with a strong protein expression and purification skill set who can think creatively to troubleshoot more challenging protein productions. You will have a keen eye for attention to detail and be driven by a desire to develop efficient processes to yield high quality proteins.
The Protein science team in Cambridge is part of a larger global team and therefore good communication with managers and the larger team is essential.
- Expression of proteins at medium and large scale in mammalian, bacterial or insect cell systems.
- Protein purification of medium and large-scale batches of protein.
- Ensure proteins are of high-quality using protein analytical techniques.
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required.
- Supervise more junior members of staff.
- Communicate clearly with Project Managers and the Protein Sciences team, providing delivery dates for protein batches and the necessary documentation and clearly presented lab results to support ongoing and completed work.
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors. Support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
This position would suit a hardworking, detail-orientated person who is able to function effectively in a fast-paced and sociable team environment.
You will have an excellent knowledge of protein purification techniques and knowledge of how to use an AKTA system or similar. You will also have a strong protein expression skill set. You will also have experience with protein expression optimisation, protein purification method development and Design of Experiment. Experience with wave bags and bioreactors as well as production of proteins at gram scale is highly desirable. Good molecular biology skills would be an advantage.
You will be educated to at least degree level in a life sciences-related subject with extensive hands-on experience of protein production and experience of working in a team environment.
Abilities to apply a good scientific
rationale to problems and to analyse and draw conclusions from data are
important for this role.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and best-loved brand in life sciences.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focused on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.