Senior Scientist - Gene Editing
About the role:Senior Scientist for an opportunity at Abcam, a leading life science company, in our Cambridge (UK), Cambridge (MA, USA) or Burlingame (CA, USA) offices. This position will work within an exciting multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers to develop new research tools for use by life scientists worldwide.
The Senior Scientist will be part of a team developing a new platform at Abcam: a CRISPR mediated cell-line engineering platform. The candidate will play a critical role in the platform design, implementation, and troubleshooting.
- Work closely with multidisciplinary contributors to build a semi-automated cell engineering operation, focused on delivering custom engineered cell lines for research and customer needs.
- Hands-on cell line generation using CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing on a variety of cell types or animals.
- Responsible for culturing different mammalian cell types including human iPSCs, ESCs and primary cells.
- Draft publications employing excellent written communication skills and organizational skills.
- Communicate with the team about project status, lead-times, technical issues, and experimental results
- Develop and optimize protocols for CRISPR experiments and cell imaging methods.
- Supervise cell culture Research Associates (as required)
- Track new techniques and technologies in CRISPR genome editing space.
About You:You’re a scientific professional with extensive wet lab experience, including cell culture and molecular biology skills. You take initiative and have experience in project management and platform design. You thrive in a “start-up” type environment and communicate effectively at all levels.
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Biology, Synthetic Biology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or closely related discipline
- 5+ years of life sciences wet lab experience including operating scientific instrumentation
- Significant experience in eukaryotic cell culture systems with demonstrated experience in working with clonal cell populations
- Strong molecular biology skills including gDNA, PCR and RNA isolation and molecular cloning skills
- Experience developing or optimizing scientific protocols
- Ability to contribute to the design and analysis of experimental procedures by incorporating the views to agreed timelines
- Looking for an energetic team addressing new opportunities and building new products
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:2 years of experience in an industry setting
Fluorescence microscopy and/or FACS
Experience in culturing difficult cell lines
Automation robotics and high-throughput experience
NGS library prep and data analysis
Ability to code in Python or a similar high-level language
Familiarity with LIMS systems
Ability to work effectively independently, as well as part of a team
Ideal candidate will be self-motivated, detail-orientated, and able to multi-task
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.