Scientist II - Protein Sciences
About the roleThe Protein Sciences team at Cambridge is currently in the build-up phase and the successful candidate will work in this new and dynamic team. This is an exciting stage for the team and the successful candidate will have an important role in contributing to the success of the group.
The Scientist role predominantly involves protein expression in mammalian and bacterial cell systems in both medium scale and larger scale as well as purification of these proteins and protein analytics. The role will also involve molecular biology.
The Protein Science group in Cambridge is part of a larger global team and therefore good communication with managers and the larger team is essential.
Job Responsibilities:The successful candidate will;
- Express proteins at medium and large scale in mammalian or bacterial cell systems
- Protein purification of medium and large scale batches of protein
- Ensure proteins are of high-quality using protein analytical techniques
- Use molecular biology skills to clone expression constructs
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required.
- Supervise more junior members of staff, as required.
- Communicate clearly with managers and the Protein Sciences team, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation and clearly presented lab results to support ongoing and completed work
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
About youThis position would suit a hardworking, detail-orientated person who is able to function effectively in a fast-paced and sociable team environment.
You will have good knowledge of protein purification techniques and knowledge of how to use an AKTA system or similar. You will also have good expertise with protein analytics and protein expression especially in mammalian cell systems, experience with Mass Spec or experience with wave bags and production of proteins at gram scale is highly desirable.
Good molecular biology skills and knowledge of Design of Experiment or experience with optimising expression or reaction conditions would be an advantage.
You will be educated to at least degree level in a life sciences-related subject with extensive hands-on experience of protein production. Experience of working in a team environment is an advantage.
Abilities to apply a good scientific rationale to problems and to analyse and draw conclusions from data are important for this role.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
About UsEver since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and best-loved brand in life sciences.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focused on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.