Scientist I / II - Imaging Team
About the role:The Imaging Team plays an essential role in the validation of our antibodies and new products working in immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry and flow cytometry. We are looking to recruit a highly motivated Scientist with experience in histology and histopathological techniques to join our team in Cambridge (UK) which will move to our new Headquarters on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus in 2019. This role is a permanent position.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Contribute to projects and initiatives as required within the Imaging applications of immunohistochemistry (IHC) and immunocytochemistry (ICC-IF).
- Perform high throughput human tissue sectioning and tissue tracking in accordance with Human Tissue Act requirements.
- Perform routine, high throughput automated and manual IHC for novel antibody targets.
- Define suitable testing conditions, plan and conduct bespoke experiments in IHC and ICC-IF, where required.
- Monitor the quality of the human tissue bank using routine morphological and immunohistochemical procedures.
- Actively seek to improve testing conditions for individual products to best demonstrate product performance.
- Validate new assay protocols and integrate them into standard work streams.
- Support existing IHC and ICC-IF Scientists in various projects, as required.
- Help to establish and maintain high quality standards during experimental processes and record keeping. Abide by laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and keep accurate Batch Manufacturing Records (BMRs).
- Help establish a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory, ensure the safety of colleagues & visitors and comply with Health and Safety (H&S) policies.
About you:Essential requirements:
- BSc in Biomedical Science or equivalent experience in high throughput NHS or veterinary pathology laboratory.
- Extensive experience in automated immunohistochemistry, with experience in Leica Bond desirable.
- Extensive experience in FFPE and frozen microtomy.
- Experience in using antibody reagents and an understanding of processes involved in their development.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritise, multitask and work to deadlines.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and accurate record keeping with LIMS
- Be a team player; facilitate open and constructive communication within the Imaging team and other teams within the company.
- Experience of working within the Life Science Industry.
- Experience in writing and reviewing SOPs and Risk Assessments.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
About Us:Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.