Scientist, Custom Service Team
The successful candidate will be working in a specialised team dedicated to the isolation and manufacture of custom-made antibodies for external customers. This team is a dynamic group that delivers a high standard, scientifically-supported approach to antibody discovery.
The scientist role involves both laboratory and analytical work; mainly working with, and co-ordinating molecular approaches to isolate, analyse and clone antibody sequences, predominantly from rabbit but also from mouse and rat. The successful candidate will design molecular approaches and apply high throughput isolation and bioinformatic analytical techniques. There are opportunities to support and develop technology improvements and process development and to help implement new strategies to ensure we continue to make the best quality antibodies. Knowledge and learnings will be shared with the global organisation, ensuring best practices are applied. This role also involves customer and commercial interactions; liaising with project management teams and principal scientists to ensure customers are well informed of progress and projects are delivered on time, supporting our customers to discover more, faster.
Job Responsibilities:In particular, the successful candidate will;
• Manage the scheduling of Ab sequence isolation projects within the laboratory, liaising with project managers to give critical updates and delivery dates
• Provide support for members of the molecular team, sustaining the advance of scientific development and output
• Design and apply molecular approaches to isolate Ab sequences from hybridomas
• Contribute to and support technology implementation and process improvements, sharing best practices with other global teams
• Analyse and report sequences, highlighting any manufacturing sequence liabilities together with proposed mitigating strategies, ensuring deliverables are met on time and to a high standard
• Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required (e.g. hybridoma generation and maintenance, assay cascades)
• Attend customer meetings and support commercial interactions, providing accurate delivery dates, required documentation and with accountability for data
• Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
• Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines.
• Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
About YouThis position would suit a hardworking, detail-orientated person who is able to function effectively in a fast-paced and sociable team environment. You will care about exceeding our customer expectations and support the team to deliver challenging and exciting projects. Expertise with bioinformatic molecular analyses of antibodies and sequence isolation techniques is essential. Knowledge of hybridoma generation and culture is desirable, as is any prior experience in antibody generation for biotech or pharma industries.
You will be educated to at least degree level in a life sciences-related subject with extensive hands-on experience of molecular biology related to Ab generation. Experience of working in a team environment is an advantage. Abilities to apply a good scientific rationale to problems and to analyse and draw conclusions from data are very important for this role, and the successful candidate will share examples of these.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
The teamAbcam Custom Services is a global operation that delivers tailor-made recombinant antibody solutions to exacting specifications that are derived using RabMAb® technology, our patented antibody technology, for the development of high quality rabbit monoclonal Ab, Next Generation Sequencing or AxioMx™, our phage display platform. Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies benefit from our custom antibody development, using the products in various applications including translational research, IHC, and in vitro diagnostics. As part of the Cambridge team you will contribute to the discovery of antibodies using the RabMAb technology but interact with the wider global team, including those involved with deliver of custom antibodies from other platforms and the in-house new product development teams.
About UsEver since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.