Scientific Support Specialist
About the role
As part of our Scientific Support team, this role is responsible for providing daily technical support to our customers via email and phone. This also involves liaising with production labs about the products, updating product datasheets and reviewing customer data. In addition, there is also departmental and inter-departmental projects, sharing your expertise with your team and the rest of the organization. As this role interacts directly with our customers you are required to use first class communication skills as well as expert scientific knowledge
About the department:
Our department is made up of experienced and highly qualified Biologists, Microbiologists and Life Scientists. The Scientific Support team makes up part of Abcam’s Commercial Operations alongside Customer Services, Marketing and Business Development.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Provide an excellent level of technical support to researchers, leading to high customer satisfaction
- Troubleshoot problems with antibody-based applications (western blot, IHC, ELISA, IP, FC, ChIP, etc.) and other protein detection related products and tools (biochemicals, assay kits)
- Resolve complaints by providing optimal solutions to customers, balanced with commercial needs
- Improve our customers’ experiences in the lab and increase sales by cross-selling, where appropriate
- Liaise with product suppliers to obtain product information when necessary
- Update product datasheets when new information becomes available
- Spend up to 10% of time working on specific projects, often involving other departments, which benefit the business
- Continually think of, suggest, and help implement process improvements
- Actively participate in team meetings and departmental discussions
- Stay up-to-date on new products, applications, and techniques through webinars and trainings
You’re an experienced bench scientist with a strong foundation working with antibodies (Western Blots, IHC, etc). You have a passion for helping others and you possess outstanding communication skills. You’re looking for a role where you can continue to use your scientific expertise, but move into more of a customer-facing role!
- B.S. in a life sciences field
- 2 years additional laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications. Experience must include western blotting or immunohistochemistry
- Laboratory experience in multiple major antibody-based applications (western blotting, FACS, ELISA, immunohistochemistry, ChIP)
- Experience in DNA and RNA molecular biology
- Background in chemistry with experience using and troubleshooting assay kits and/or the application of biochemicals in life sciences research
- Experience teaching or supervising staff or students
- Customer service and/or call center experience
- Friendly, positive, self-motivated, and a good team player
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys and excels at troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ability to work independently and multitask
- Keen attention to detail
- Takes initiative and follows up on work appropriately
- Experienced and comfortable using computers and software programs, must
- Be comfortable with Excel, Word, and Outlook
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.