Research Associate - Custom Antibody Development
Research Associate (Custom Antibody Development)
Department: Custom Services
Location: Burlingame, CA USA
About the roleWe have a great opportunity to join the Custom Service Team in Burlingame, CA. The position is primarily responsible for the screening and characterization of monoclonal antibodies. The successful candidate will play a hands-on role in the company’s use of a wide variety of analytical assays such as ELISA, flow cytometry, Octet, and HTRF. He or she will partner closely with other team members within the group, assisting with every step of antibody development. The candidate will make observations, analyze data, and interpret results with full supervision.
About Custom Services at AbcamThe Custom Services Department team in Burlingame is responsible for the development of best in class antibodies for various commercial and academic clients.
Job responsibilitiesThe following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
• Screening and characterization of antibodies using various analytical assays
• Work as part of the team to implement experimental plans
• Thorough documentation of work, contribute to data analysis and interpretation of results
• Help assess information to ensure data quality and completeness of results
• Ability to communicate results to supervisor and peers
• Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to multitask
• Assist with regular assigned laboratory maintenance duties
• Health and safety responsibilities
Employees must contribute to a healthy and safe working environment by adhering to health and safety regulations and company policies. Employees must act in a responsible manner to ensure the care of their own health and safety and where appropriate, their team and that of others who may be affected by their omissions at work.
Minimum qualifications• A Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences (or closely-related discipline).
• 1-year experience working in a laboratory setting.
Preferred qualifications• 2 years’ experience in a laboratory setting and understanding of laboratory equipment.
• 1 years’ experience in antibody development and characterization. Previous in ELISA experience is preferred. Experience in advanced techniques such as Octet BLI and TR-FRET would be an advantage, but full training will be provided
• Familiar with conforming to ISO9001 quality standards
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to multitask and manage time effectively
• Must demonstrate a high attention to detail
• Ability to follow complex instructions
• Ability to maintain accurate and thorough records
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office
• Physical/mental requirements
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Sitting or standing, using a work bench
• Sitting, using a computer or cell culture hood
• Lifting 10-50 lbs. frequently
• Standing, operate transfer or wash machines, operate autoclave
• Work environment
• Office Setting 20%
• Laboratory Setting 80%
• Exposure to toxic/hazardous/dangerous chemicals
• No travel
About UsEver since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.