Programme Manager (6-month contract)
About the role
We are looking to recruit a programme manager with a scientific background. This role will report into the head of the Programme Management Office within PPI. Using their knowledge and experience they will manage an assigned programme(s) .
The job is based at our Branford or Boston site but the job holder will work closely with other stakeholders in other global locations to deliver the programme to strict timelines.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Responsible for the management of a large-scale program.
- Plans and designs complex multi-disciplinary programmes and proactively monitors and reports on their overall progress through the governance framework. Plans programme assurance activities. Identifies success criteria, sets controls and is accountable for programme performance.
- Communicates changes in timelines in a timely manner to stakeholders and works to resolve issues to get project back on track, skillfully managing and influencing all levels within Abcam.
- Maintains and ensures delivery of the portfolio/programme delivery map. Has an overall view of resource across the programme and can use influence to ensure the projects within the programme have adequate resources to deliver.
- Manages risks (threats and opportunities) and issues across the programme, ensuring regular reporting and escalation to senior stakeholders as appropriate.
- Can manage complex interdependencies, building understanding and managing the bigger risks that affect the initiative or programme as a whole.
- Establishes and supports programme governance and decision making by acting as a link between the programme and business governance. Prepares milestone reports as required particularly for higher level stakeholders including board level. Holds self and programme team accountable for delivery.
- Ensures programme assurance, quality assurance and appropriate change management processes are in place with routine updates/checks.
- Has responsibility for programme objectives being met
- Ensures relevant stakeholders interests are identified and addressed. Works collaboratively to build effective relationships and achieve buy-in to the overall programme objectives.
- Builds and manages strategic relationships with multiple diverse stakeholders across the projects and Abcam and drives to build a consensus that maintains focus and ensures programme objectives are met.
- Develops and maintains the programme plan and regularly provides status reports on programme progress to sponsors and executive stakeholders at senior management meetings.
- May have ultimate responsibility for junior PM team projects being effectively met.
- Uses an established financial tracking system across the programme and recommends changes to phasing as necessary. Develops strategies to address resource gaps.
- Identify and establish a working program team that enables the program to move forwards. Chair regular team meetings and provide minutes to key stakeholders.
- Influence project members to ensure timely delivery of the project deliverables.
Our ideal candidate will have a strong project management background, with experience of working within the life sciences industry, and a MSc or PhD in biological science or equivalent experience. A formal project management qualification is highly preferred (such as Prince 2). You will have extensive experience of managing and delivering large scale projects with multiple stakeholders and will have 7+ years project management experience.
You will be highly organised, be comfortable working to deadlines and prioritising different aspects of the project. You will be able to work independently and have outstanding attention to detail.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.