About the role
We are looking for a leader of our Molecular Biology and assay Development team. The successful candidate will play a leading role in the company’s use of a wide variety of molecular biology, genomics and proteomics techniques in support of multiple antibody discovery projects. This professional must possess a strong background in immunology, molecular and cell biology, antibody development, and antibody characterization assays. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute intellectually to a variety of customized antibody discovery programs, be willing to tackle difficult technical challenges and perform toward our deliverables. The position requires significant involvement and commitment to hands-on experimental work. The candidate will be expected to provide supervision and mentorship to junior staff, make detailed observations, analyze data, interpret results and make recommendations.
About Custom Antibody Development team at Abcam
You will be a member of a dynamic team of scientists located in Burlingame, CA and Branford, CT. Our goal is development of best in class customized antibodies and assays using our state-of-the-art recombinant antibody technologies.
Roles & responsibilities
- Apply and develop new experimental capabilities related to antibody discovery
- Develop and optimize robust, scalable strategies for improving process, workflow and performance
- Lead a team of junior staff to deliver on specific individual and corporate objectives
- Work collaboratively with other members of the R&D staff, on and off-site, and contribute to and/or deliver on specific strategic initiatives
- Conduct day-to-day problem solving, work prioritization, and co-ordination across the team and other groups to ensure project deadlines are met
- Perform data analysis; write reports and present results and project assessments to Senior Management
- Ph.D. degree in genetics, immunology, cell biology or closely-related discipline
- 3 years of industry or academic experience
- Experience in immunology, cell biology, assay development, high-throughput assays and automation
- PhD with a minimum of 5 years of related experience in immunology, B-cell biology, high-throughput biology, antibody engineering, monoclonal antibody development, assay development
- At least 2 years of managerial experience
- Working knowledge of monoclonal antibody generation methods from immunized animals, including hybridoma generation or B-cell cloning
- Experience with antibody screening and characterization assays including ELISA, cell-based ELISAs, flow cytometry, antibody kinetics, HTRF
- Exposure in designing immunization strategies against difficult targets including immunogen design and selection.
- Experience with NGS platforms is a plus
- Prior experience working in industry, highly preferred.
- Highly-proficient with Microsoft Suite
- Must possess and demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.