The Innovation and Manufacturing Team (I&M) in Cambridge (UK) consists of several busy laboratories. This role will support the lab teams by taking responsibility for day-to-day housekeeping that is essential in maintaining our output of great quality data. The responsibilities of this role will include waste management, specialist laboratory cleaning, maintenance of communal lab areas, maintaining stock of lab consumables and reagents, sample inventory and distribution, buffer preparation and supply of clean lab ware. Support is required in general lab areas, our cell culture suite and molecular lab, requiring a conscientious, flexible approach and great attention to detail. Full training will be given, but previous experience of a laboratory environment is essential.
Support the I&M Teams to maintain clean, well-stocked laboratories.
- Waste management. Keeping lab areas clear of solid and liquid/chemical waste, adhering strictly to local disposal policies.
- Specialist laboratory cleaning. Each lab area has different cleaning requirements and specific health and safety considerations. In this role you will receive specific training for each area.
- Maintaining stock of lab consumables and reagents. Regular stock-taking, ordering and re-stocking each lab area with routine reagents and consumables.
- Sample inventory and distribution. Maintain accurate records of samples coming in and out of the labs. Distribute samples around the buildings as required, while at all times maintaining correct storage conditions.
- Buffer preparation. After thorough training, prepare standard buffers and reagents according to defined operating procedures and complete all required records accurately.
- Equipment calibration. After thorough training, perform routine calibration of core laboratory equipment following defined operating procedures and complete all required records accurately.
- Supply of clean lab ware. Maintain a cycle of collecting used items from each lab, washing and returning clean to their original lab location.
- Maintenance of communal lab areas and shared resources as required.
- Help establish a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory and help to ensure the safety of colleagues & visitors. Abide by laboratory SOPs and Health and Safety policies at all times.
- Proactively report problems, with solution proposals and actions.
- Actively contribute ideas for improving standard processes and procedures
- You will be required to hold at least 2 A-Levels (or equivalent) including Biology and Chemistry
- Recent experience working in a laboratory environment is key
- You will be proficient in using Microsoft applications including Excel, Word and Outlook
- You are able to work well in a team, organise workloads and communicate effectively
- If you have experience of buffer preparation and following standard operating procedures this is advantageous
- Experience in a cell culture laboratory will be beneficial