Laboratory Support Technician (temporary)
Job Title: Lab Support Technician – Custom Solutions Team (temp)
About the role
We have a great opportunity to join the Custom Solutions Team in Burlingame, CA. The position is primarily responsible for providing laboratory support to the assay development and hybridoma maintenance teams. In addition, candidate will use their scientific and technical skills to aid in the screening and characterization of monoclonal antibodies. The Custom Service Team works on antibody discovery projects for various commercial and academic clients.
Roles & responsibilities:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Perform hybridoma fusion assistance including labeling the plates and plating cells.
- Preparation and sterilization of media, buffers, and stock solutions for laboratory use.
- Maintenance of various laboratory equipment. Organize, maintain, and order laboratory supplies.
- Maintain liquid nitrogen tanks and storage of materials in LN2.
- Work in accordance with current health and safety procedures, abide by Laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H&S, Ethical and Quality standards.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Sitting or standing, using a work bench
- Sitting, using a computer or cell culture hood
- Lifting 10-50 lbs. frequently
- Standing, operate transfer or wash machines, operate autoclave
- Office Setting 20%
- Laboratory Setting 80%
- No travel
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
Employees must contribute to a healthy and safe working environment by adhering to health and safety regulations and company policies. Employees must act in a responsible manner to ensure the care of their own health and safety and where appropriate, their team and that of others who may be affected by their omissions at work.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences (or closely-related discipline).
- 6 months experience working in a laboratory setting.
- 2 years of experience in a laboratory setting and understanding of laboratory equipment.
- 1 year of previous ELISA and/or Octet experience.
- Previous experience working in a GLP facility.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and manage time effectively.
- Must demonstrate a high attention to detail.
- Ability to follow complex instructions.
- Ability to maintain accurate and thorough records.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.