Summary of role:
This role will be primarily responsible for the management of our laboratory. Specific responsibilities are generating and maintaining stockroom inventory, ordering of laboratory supplies, coordinating/implementing logistics activities, managing budget of the service contracts, arranging maintenance/repair of equipment and coordinating QA activities.
This position is also the EHS site lead. This person will partner closely with other team members within the global facilities, safety and QA teams.
Essential Responsibilities:• Implement and maintain processes to manage common laboratory supplies, stock inventory, and order laboratory consumables. Support all aspects of the general laboratory organization, including implementation of programs, not limited to KanBan and Six Sigma Lean.
• Oversee laboratory equipment purchases, including price negotiation, purchasing, and installation
• Coordinate and ensure proper maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment
• Manage the budget for all laboratory equipment service contracts
• Oversee planning and set-up of new laboratory equipment and laboratory spaces
• Ensuring that the site is compliant to all local regulations as well as to Abcam safety standards
• Oversee laboratory safety including biological and chemical safety, enforcing safety policies, managing risk, carrying out inspections and ensuring laboratory safety rules are adhered to
• Conduct safety and best practices training for the site
• Support all logistics activities
• Lead all QA activities
• Manage a small team of laboratory technicians
• Support the maintenance of the Branford facility
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Minimum Qualifications:• Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline
• 4 years of experience working in laboratory management or scientific operations
Preferred Qualifications:• Previous safety experience within a laboratory environment
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• Experience working with external vendors and CROs
• Experience optimizing and centralizing processes across groups
• Experience with permitting, training, and reporting requirements as set forth by local, state, and federal regulations
• Ability to troubleshoot, solve difficult problems, and propose solutions relating to laboratory organization and management
• Ability to work in a high energy organization with evolving goals and deliverables, merging priorities from across the company.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work well with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.