Internal Audit Manager
As a global leader in the sale of research antibodies, Abcam is committed to serving life science researchers to achieve their mission, faster. We continue to identify the biological pathways of greatest interest to our consumers and continuously strive to provide products of the highest quality with increased specificity, reproducibility and sensitivity. At the same time, through investment and acquisition, we are expanding into new markets, identifying new technologies and applications while moving into new geographic regions, thereby driving sustainable growth.
Abcam was founded in 1998 and has been listed on AIM since 2005. Market capitalisation is in excess of £2bn and revenues for the last financial year ended 30 June 2018 were £233m.
The business continues to be strongly cash generative, and is putting that cash to work in both capital projects, to ensure the future scalability of the business, as well as investing further in the continued development of products and services. Strategic goals include expansion in growth markets and investing in operating capabilities to grow the business two fold from its 2016 scale by 2023.
About the role
To add value and improve operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. Possess a thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and a sound judgement.
Provide independent corroboration or challenge that the organisation's risk management, governance and control processes are operating effectively.
Performing the full audit cycle including tying in with the Risk and Controls manager over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations.
Work with the business to evaluate how well risks are being managed, how business is running and if internal processes are functioning. Engage with senior management to provide evidence to stakeholders that they are managing their business effectively and advise on how to improve systems and processes.
Work with, co-ordinate and manage ‘co-sourced’ third party internal audit provider on specialist audits.
The scope and nature of audits can vary significantly.
- Responsible for the planning, management, strategic direction and execution of the internal audit function. Maintain, update, and execute all audit procedures in financial and operational audits. Expanding:
- Develop and scope detailed cycle of audits together with internal audit test programmes to assess financial, operational, controls and compliance risks and the effectiveness of the Company’s internal financial controls
- Document process and produce written report of audit findings and recommendations to appropriate management after each audit. Present this to key members of the company
- Lead with senior business stakeholders to ensure that audit findings are addressed, key emerging risks identified and monitor management’s interventions and resolutions to findings
- Take a leadership and coaching role in audits where appropriate
- Conduct follow up reviews of progress and actions arising from issues and deficiencies noted during audits
- Full accountability for leading end to end audits from planning through to fieldwork, reporting and following up on agreed actions
- From the testing, as necessary, recommend adaptation of the design of existing financial controls and in co-ordination with the Group Controls Manager, initiate improvements to the control environment to develop a robust control framework;
- Develop regular reports to be used in Audit Committee reporting showing results of reviews and progress against plan. Maintain open communication with management and Audit Committee;
- Monitor evolving regulatory guidance in respect of the form of external risk reporting
- Manage internal relationships and be a trusted point of contact for business units to understand and drive improvements in the control environment;
- Potential for international travel to perform audits in various overseas locations;
- Demonstrate high level of business understanding and the ability to empathise with stakeholders and identify pragmatic solutions which address risks identified.
Our ideal candidate will be ACA qualified or CIMA / ACCA qualified with significant experience in an audit background with proven working experience as Internal Auditor in a corporate organisation or Senior Auditor in practice with knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules and regulations and an awareness of SOX requirements. In addition experience of multinational companies with knowledge of accounting best practices would be advantageous.
You will be strong independent mind-set. Capable of translating accounting and control requirements into operationally coherent business processes and procedures. Diligent, inquisitive with sound analytical skills and strong independent judgement. You will have strong excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to demonstrate credibility with stakeholders at all levels. Concise and targeted will be key. Working knowledge of functioning of accounting systems will be important and experience of Oracle will be helpful although not essential. Time and project management skills are essential, with the ability to demonstrate thoroughness and reliability with ability to work under pressure in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!