Head of Protein Sciences
The Head of Protein Sciences will set up and lead a team of scientists working to express, purify and characterize high quality recombinant proteins for development as standalone products in Abcam. It’s a new and really exciting role with a huge degree of autonomy, that will be setting up a team from scratch to deliver outstanding products to our customers; and help us achieve our aim of being the most influential company in life sciences by helping advance global understanding of biology and causes of disease, which, in turn, will drive new treatments and improved health. The role reports to the Global VP of Technology Development and is part of his leadership team.
Based in Cambridge, MA the role will involve frequent interaction with business partners based in the UK and China. The ability to manage a portfolio of expression projects, predict probability of success, design the most appropriate production route and prioritize resources based on experimental data will be key.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Building and then leading a team of scientists and research associates focused on recombinant protein production.
- Experience of molecular biology (cloning, protein domain expression, mutagenesis) required for successful recombinant production of multiple protein classes.
- Understanding of the requirements of Mammalian and E.coli over-expression systems.
- Understanding of purification techniques used for secreted and intracellular expression (native, affinity tagged).
- Be able to design and supervise the assays required to confirm activity of proteins.
- Work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, ensuring the Protein Groups output is fit for purpose and meets agreed expectations.
- In collaboration with Project Management team, able to monitor multiple protein expression projects, checking milestone completion and ensuring output of the group meets agreed targets.
You have an established track record of performing similar roles, with significant experience in an industrial or academic environment. You will enjoy the challenge of establishing a new capability within an established business and the responsibility of contributing towards Abcam’s discovery pipelines.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
- A BS Degree in biochemistry, pathology, cell and molecular biology, immunology or other Life Sciences.
- A PhD or equivalent research experience
- Industrial/academic experience in delivering multiple protein expression projects to tight deadlines.
- Desired experience on antibody technology and antibody application development.
- A track record of delivering successful innovation projects and products
- Commercial experience in Biotech industry
- Demonstrated capabilities in recruiting and managing teams of scientists.
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong problem solving capabilities.
- Collaborative worker, ideally with experience of working with numerous international business partners.
- Excellent communication and organizational skill is required.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.