Head of Custom Services Division
About the roleThe Head of Custom Services Division (US) is responsible for leading Abcam’s antibody development team located in Burlingame, San Francisco. This is a key leadership position, reporting to the global VP of CSD. The Head of CSD will ensure high quality and timely product delivery of tailored antibody projects delivered from the Burlingame site using recombinant antibodies derived from RabMAb® and Next Generation Sequencing technologies. This position requires an experienced antibody biologics leader who is poised to set and measure key performance indicators to support and manage a dynamic team within a rapidly growing organization.
- Provide leadership and direction for the Custom Services Team and Antibody Manufacture at the Burlingame site
- Lead and implement a customer-focused operating model and culture
- Provide leadership to support the development of team members including troubleshooting, expansion of capabilities and process improvements
- Establish highly effective technical capability within the team, building and delivering antibody products to meet customer requirements
- Implement process improvements including the incorporation of robotics and complex antibody assay cascades, providing appropriate training to staff
- Deliver key production performance, financial results, compliance, quality and health and safety expectations to meet project plans
- Improve operations efficiency and effectiveness by deploying operational excellence and continuous improvement
- Manage and coach teams to drive a high performance culture that accommodates rapid and dynamic growth
- Effectively work in a global environment to assure successful implementation of process improvements and infrastructure investments across the broader manufacturing network
- Interface effectively with key internal and external stakeholders and customers
- Ensure robust and accurate cost accounting of activities within the CSD
- Experienced in the design and execution of high-throughput antibody screening cascades to meet the requirements of both therapeutic and diagnostic antibody reagents
- Experience of implementing high-throughput robotics to support antibody discovery and manufacturing requirements
- In depth knowledge of monoclonal antibody technologies, including hybridoma and Next Generation Sequencing with additional knowledge of phage display an advantage
- Ability to combine leadership role with active support of project management and laboratory staff, providing mentorship and operational training as required
- Support for the commercial team in customer interactions, bringing technical leadership to design discovery and screening strategies to support prospective customer projects
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Ph.D. qualification or equivalent in life sciences
- Understand ISO, FDA and applicable quality, health, safety and environmental standards as required
About UsEver since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.