General Office Administrator
An interesting and varied General Office Administrator role has opened in our office in Tokyo. Working collaboratively with our regional and global teams, you’ll provide first class administrative support to our teams across a variety of functions including Health and Safety, Facilities and Human Resources.
Essential EHS Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Ensure compliance with local EHS regulations as well as Abcam’s Global Safety Policies
- Working closely with the Global and Regional Head of Health & Safety, co-ordinate the Tokyo H&S committee including monthly meetings, supporting the annual audit, monthly inspections, ensuring actions are completed and/or escalated as appropriate.
- Serve as the site’s main emergency contact for the building and as the point of contact for environmental health and safety regulatory authorities
- Ensure good awareness around accident, incident and near miss reporting. Investigation of any accidents, incidents and near misses to ensure that preventative actions are put in place and that the monthly EHS report is completed
- Manage and maintain Fire Service Act, conducting emergency evaluation drill yearly
- Manage near miss reporting to submit to the global H&S teams and ensure learnings are shared with the Tokyo team.
Essential Facilities responsibilities and tasks:
- Under the direction of the Regional Facilities Manager, ensure office operations and procedures are efficiently run, ensuring the office is in good working order, including updating and maintaining the office Business Recovery Plan
- Support with managing and maintaining the relationship with the office Landlord
- Liaise with facilities vendors, including cleaning, catering, security providers and coordinate / arrange office repairs, as necessary. Ensure office supplies are ordered and replenished where reqired.
- Support all departments with projects that impact the office, such as reorganization of office / logistics space.
- Ensure the Facilities & EHS budget is maintained and controlled.
- Work with the site social committee to plan in-house or off-site activities, such as parties, celebrations and conferences.
- Support miscellaneous tasks in other departments
Essential HR Admin responsibilities and tasks:
- Working with the global HR Shared Service Team based in Cambridge, ensure all Tokyo based HR administration is completed, including correspondence scanning, filing, and processing. This may include delivering in-hand sensitive documents to external counsels, local authorities, and payroll providers.
- Maintaining paper HR records and supporting daily administration tasks where they cannot be managed remotely, such as handing/receiving staff/family medical cards, relo club cards, unemployment insurance certificates, notice of inhabitant taxes, certifications of employment and annual health check results.
- Procurement of official copies of the company seal’s impression and/or business registration certificates from the Legal Affairs Bureau. Assisting in opening/closing/increasing the premiums of the staff’s Chutaikyo pension accounts in person at the bank.
- Act as the main local contact point for Life insurance issuance and annual renewal.
- 2- 5 years of relevant EHS experience and facilities or office management experience
- Competency in Microsoft Office and other applications
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills. As our head office is based in Cambridge, UK, some conversational English is required.
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations
- Proven time management skills
- Ability to establish and foster healthy working relationships with people in a work environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong track record of driving change and influencing others
- Working knowledge of local environmental, health and safety regulations
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Pertinent certifications/trainings required, or willing to obtain upon hire
- Prior leadership experience desired
- Environmental Health and Safety qualifications
- Knowledge of JP Hazardous law