External Communications Manager
About the role
The External Communications Manager (ECM) must have a good working relationship with colleagues across the organisation, acting as the point person on the day-to-day running of the team’s activities. They are responsible for high quality execution and delivery of their assigned projects and for helping to ensure that programmes and projects are delivered on time.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- At all times be mindful of the overall communications objectives and by what measures our value will be judged, ensuring that resources are deployed, and activities executed appropriately
- Work closely with External Comms leadership to plan our PR programme to support our underlying communications strategy
- Point person for everyday team activities – looking at least one month (often more) ahead to anticipate and proactively plan as needed
- Develop and maintain relationships and ensure regular interaction with peers across the business
- Develop and maintain close media relationships to maximise coverage achieved from our news and stories, and to ensure inclusion in relevant round up pieces, and opportunities are identified
- Proactively execute agreed digital and social media to support achievement of our communications activities
- Understand key messages for each communications piece and confidently brief/oversee others appropriately
- Copywriting /copyediting content and materials e.g. announcements, web copy etc.
- Reviewing materials drafted by colleagues from across the organisation providing feedback and direction as appropriate
- Demonstrate commercial awareness, including the ability to take responsibility and to raise issues with team leadership, e.g. understanding value-add activities, identifying over or under efforts on projects, feedback from the organisation etc, when necessary
- Proactively suggest creative ideas which complement our core PR programmes e.g. speaker opportunities, award submissions, commissioning research, spotting media opportunities
- Support the financial management of our budget, preparing PO/invoices and checking supporting material, ensuring all costs are captured and processed, and helping to pre-empt any billing issues
- Actively reading around sector and current affairs to continually deepen understanding of sector and keep team updated
- Identify and take forward opportunities to develop own skill sets and knowledge, as well as those of the team e.g. internal and external training, industry body initiatives and networking
- Support learning and mentoring of other colleagues across the business – using experience and knowledge gained from reading around the sector to share key sector news, best practice advice, etc
- Research and support in the drafting of new up-to-date business credentials, case studies, presentations
- Expanding your own network of influencers who might recommend us/alert us to opportunities (e.g. media, VC’s, industry experts, that could benefit achievement of our communications and business goals
- Identifying sector events and networking opportunities and attending as appropriate
Skills and Knowledge
- Extensive business communications/media relations experience
- Experience in an in-house media relations/communications role, or a journalist, would be an advantage. PR consultancy experience would be desirable
- Educated to at least first-degree level, preferably in a life sciences subject. A PhD or master’s in science communications would be a bonus.
- English (fluent), other languages an advantage
- Advanced level of knowledge in PowerPoint
- Knowledge of life science media landscape and databases
- Understanding of key social media channels (LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram)
- A pro-active individual who shows initiative and takes responsibility for their own decisions
- A good team-player who encourages feedback and will seek help when appropriate
- An effective and well-presented communicator both verbally and in writing
- An analytical problem-solver who is able to quickly and accurately identify key issues with an interest in learning how to develop communications strategies
- A well-organised planner who will follow rules and procedures when appropriate
- An engaged individual who demonstrates enthusiasm for keeping up to date with current affairs and the life sciences sector
- An individual who thrives in a pressurised, dynamic environment and has a flexible approach to suggest and embrace positive change
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.
You will be joining Abcam at an exciting time of growth and innovation!