Director of Business Development
About the role
This exciting and impactful role will be responsible for establishing key relationships with technology and product partners across the globe. This individual will identify and develop potential partners and opportunities for internal development that expand and enhance Abcam’s product portfolio and service capabilities. They will have a broad remit to negotiate, draft, and secure major supply, collaboration, co-development, distribution and in- and out- licensing agreements.
The successful candidate will combine scientific and commercial expertise to collaborate across functionally and proactively execute on Abcam’s strategy. They will target key companies to develop deep relationships that enhance Abcam’s global reputation as the leading partner for development, supply, and licensing of research and diagnostics affinity reagents. The role will require strategic planning and analysis, scouting for scientific collaboration opportunities, attending partnering events, negotiating deals, and working closely with internal teams to drive the growth of Abcam’s catalogue and custom services businesses. This individual is passionate about identifying new technology and driving product innovation.
The ideal location for this role would be either Cambridge, UK, Boston, MA or San Francisco, CA but we would consider various remote locations across the US. Regardless of location, we would expect this role to involve around 25% travel.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of strategic partners, and lead ideation for new partnership opportunities based on detailed analysis of Abcam’s capabilities and its positioning within the evolving scientific and business landscape.
- Establish and grow Abcam’s strategic partnering activities by serving as the primary initiator, driver, and closer of high-value business relationships.
- Develop and deliver impactful presentations to key prospects and stakeholders.
- Coordinate the development of pitch decks and run the process of external engagement for licensing opportunities.
- Lead cross-functional teams in opportunity assessment and deploy robust financial modeling and analyses to value projects and terms as deal process milestones are met (e.g., term sheet drafting, contract negotiation and execution, post-closing value projections).
The ideal candidate will hold a degree in Life Sciences (PhD and/or MBA preferred) and possess a fundamental understanding of drug discovery and development, and exposure to Abcam’s therapeutic areas of interest.
You should possess experience in a business development role in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry with a track record of successful commercial transactions (preferred focus: biomarker applications in the drug discovery and diagnostics industries). Significant experience drafting and negotiating confidential disclosure agreements (CDAs), term sheets, and other agreements (licensing, MTA, co-development, etc).
You should be a highly motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is able to exercise keen judgment in the course of navigating open-ended situations with a high degree of independence.