DevOps Engineer (Fixed Term Maternity Cover)
About the role
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer on a fixed term (maternity cover) contract to work as part of a busy DevOps team maintaining and improving all aspects of the development and production web environments including on premise, private cloud and cloud infrastructures.
Roles and responsibilities:• Support the production and development environments and provide incident troubleshooting, problem solving and resolution
• Provide infrastructure expertise to other teams
• Plan and implement proactive project work
• Carry out infrastructure maintenance tasks such as backups and DR drill procedures
• Environment capacity planning
• Embrace the DevOps methodology
• Conduct research on emerging technologies
• Look to improve efficiency through automation
• Assist with managing web application deployments
You will have a degree in computer science, or in a numerate or scientific discipline, or have equivalent experience. You will have 3+ years of commercial experience with managing and maintaining Windows Server environments.
You will also have experience of the following:
• Good technical understanding of Windows Server 2003->2012
• Experienced in running a web infrastructure (IIS / Apache / nginx)
• Linux OS server experience
• Experienced in one or more of the following languages: PowerShell / Bash / Perl / Java / Ruby / .NET / ColdFusion
• Experience with virtualisation (VMware / OpenStack / KVM)
• Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet / Chef
• Experience with tools: Vagrant, Packer
• Demonstrate a clear understanding of networks and their underlying protocols.
• Experience with AWS EC2 / RDS / Lambda
• Experienced in working with development pipelines and deployment tools (Team City / Jenkins)
• Ability to apply good troubleshooting approach under pressure.
• Ability to clearly communicate complicated technical problems.
• Ability to effectively communicate and present findings and recommendations.
• Ability to be resourceful when investigating problems.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.