Design Art Director
About the Role:
Due to phenomenal and continued growth, Abcam plc are looking for a talented Art Director/Designer as part of their expansion of the in-house User Experience & Design team. This position will assist with visual direction and design across a variety of digital marketing channels and projects, with the principle responsibility of generating and developing campaign creative that engages and motivates our targeted consumer base.
Working as part of a global Customer Experience function, the right candidate will demonstrate the ability to develop campaign ideas and concepts from scratch and early stages, across a broad spectrum of channels. The ability to take the creative lead and give direction, will be the primary role of the position, alongside overseeing the work of talented designers and artworkers, to develop a cohesive campaign and cross-channel experience.
As leaders within our industry, we are looking for an Art Director/Designer that can demonstrate the ability to be hands on, whilst creating a differentiating style that continues to strengthen our brand.
The Art Director/Designer will report into the Digital Design Manager, offering input and support on the development of efficient scheduling and workflow priorities.
• You have 5+ yrs experience as an Art Director/Designer in a similar position/sized organisation/agency.
• Have gained extensive digital marketing and channel experience and can demonstrate this with past campaigns.
• Have the confidence to lead the way on creativity and can demonstrate excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• You can think strategically and have the ability to convert vision into requirements.
• You can take and develop a brief, driving ideas forward using design ability and the assistance of skilled designers to bring campaigns to life.
• You are comfortable working in multi-disciplinary teams, collaborating with colleagues on design (digital/print), copy, content, production and delivery, whilst being client focused and have the confidence to lead others on creative output.
• You will be highly proficient in, but not dependent on, Adobe Creative Cloud to shape your vision (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign).
• You display the perseverance to craft consistently high quality digital experiences.
Responsibilities will include:
• Working with internal teams and individuals; designers, copywriters, digital producers and campaign managers to create original, differentiating and creative campaigns
• Designing high quality concepts for a broad range of digital projects and channels
• Collaborating and briefing designers and artworkers to realise the creative vision
• Work strategically with the Head of UX & Design and the Digital Design Manager
• Input on metrics and campaign data pre and post launch, contributing to campaign retrospectives
• Providing confidence and quality assurance on projects
• Display efficient time management in line with design scheduling and campaign management
• Mentoring colleagues and knowledge sharing in the studio
• Going the extra mile to deliver a first-class customer experience
• Highly creative
• Project management
• Adobe Creative Suite
• Strong skills in typography, layout, space
• Excellent knowledge of digital UI and an understanding of UX design
• Strong collaborative and communication
• Commercial judgement and application
• Positive, professional attitude with a desire to deliver
• Attention to quality and detail are essential
We are looking for a highly proactive self-starter, that is naturally curious and dedicated to the design discipline and understands the value it can contribute to the customer experience.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.