Business Development Manager
About the role:
Reporting to the Senior Director of Business Development, this role will focus on the development and implementation of the in-licensing strategy across both products and technologies.
This role sits within the newly formed Corporate Development function and together with other Business Development team members, will be responsible for certain day to day in-licensing activities with worldwide partners.
The ideal candidate will have experience executing in-licensing agreements with third parties at scale, together with knowledge of appropriate agreement structures in order to extract as much value to Abcam from each licensing deal.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Play a key role in the development and execution of Abcam’s in-licensing strategy, together with other members of the in-licensing team.
- Initiate and build relationships with external partners (academic, industry, pharmaceutical) worldwide.
- Sign appropriate agreements with these partners to in-license products and technologies that help support Abcam’s strategic goals.
- Negotiate financial and contractual terms in consultation with Abcam’s Legal team to ensure compliance with Abcam’s standard terms and conditions.
- Liaise with the Research Area and Commercial Portfolio teams to ensure in-licensed products add value to the Abcam catalogue and meet the defined consumer needs.
- Co-ordinate with the appropriate teams at Abcam regarding any shipping, payments and agreement maintenance that is required.
- Monitor, report, and meet KPI measures and targets for the role.
- Manage both internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Attend appropriate conferences and networking events to build on network of contacts and promote Abcam as the partner of choice for in-licensing.
- Source novel investment and partnership opportunities around early stage technologies being spun out of academic centers and industry players.
- Support other members of the Corporate Development team as necessary and participate in team meetings and activities as required.
- Ability to build relationships both internally and externally with key stakeholders to achieve desired results.
- Experience in negotiating contractual terms (including financial terms) and reviewing and editing of licensing agreements, amendments, confidentiality agreements etc.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the in-licensing process within either academia or industry.
- An understanding of common agreement structures and the ability to structure agreements in a creative way to the satisfaction of all parties.
- Ability to work across a multi-site team.
- Professional, confident, credible and an enthusiastic team player able to work effectively.
- Flexibility to travel up to 20%
- Previous experience working with antibodies
- Ability to confidently communicate and manage stakeholders at all levels.
- Knowledge of the life sciences market (both research and diagnostic).
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science discipline
- One year in licensing (tech transfer or commercial)
With offices across the US, Europe, and Asia, Abcam is one of the leading life science companies today, achieving multi-year double digit growth with the aim of helping scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.