We are seeking a Scientist for a technology development opportunity at Abcam, a leading life science company, in our Cambridge, US office. This position will work within an exciting multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers to develop new research tools for use by life scientists worldwide.
The Scientist will be responsible for optimizing automated workflows for the existing FirePlex multiplex protein and miRNA assays. The ideal candidate will have significant experience with operating lab automation equipment and the process for implementing automation into a manual assay workflow while ensuring assay performance is retained.
Our culture is one that empowers individuals with responsibility given at an early stage. The environment is fun and fast-paced, with everybody working together as a team to deliver great service and the best products to our customers. In addition to competitive salaries we offer an attractive flexible benefits package that includes share options.
- Independently design, plan and conduct experiments to optimize automated assay workflows for the FirePlex protein and miRNA kits
- Support external collaboration projects that require customized automation workflows
- Analyze and critically evaluate experimental results with an attention to detail
- Maintain good laboratory records and present at regular internal team meetings
- Communicate with the team about project status, lead-times, technical issues, and experimental results
- Prepare technical reports, product summaries, protocols and SOPs
- Complete project tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- May be required to perform other duties as required
- MSc in Biochemistry, Engineering or closely related discipline
- Experience optimizing and troubleshooting assays on laboratory automation equipment
- Knowledge and experience operating and programming various lab automation platforms, such as Tecan, Hamilton, Biomek
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative data analysis
- Must demonstrate strong communication and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ideal candidate will be self-motivated, detail-orientated, and able to multi-task
- Must have excellent computer skills including instrumentation specific software, and proficiency in Microsoft office.
- Willingness to travel to customer sites
- 2+ years of relevant laboratory experience
- 3-5 year of experience in an industry setting
- Ideally experience in an automation core facility
- Hands on experience with biochemistry and molecular biology techniques, such as ELISA, flow cytometry, and PCR
- Familiarity with protein and nucleic acid detection methods and principles
- Familiarity with LIMS systems
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Position requires prolonged stints of standing/sitting
- Display manual dexterity required to operate office and heavy lab equipment
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Lab setting 70%
- Office setting 30%
- Exposure to toxic/hazardous/dangerous chemicals and biohazards
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.