Agile Delivery Manager
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the IT department at Abcam as an Agile Delivery Manager. There are three roles of relevance for delivery: The Product Owner (as per the scrum definition), The Delivery Manager and the Project Manager. We have a clear separation of responsibilities between the three.
- The Product Owner will identify valuable projects, products or services to deliver, build or enhance to improve bottom line and top line.
- The Project Manager will help the Product Owner to make the business case, prioritise the work, secure funding and, along with the Delivery Managers, identify which team will deliver.
- The Delivery manager will ensure delivery of the project, product or service to the Product Owner and wider stakeholders.
- To this end he or she will have to work closely with the product owner to take joint responsibility for delivery (PO for "What", Delivery Manager for "How").
About the Team
You will join a dynamic cross-functional technology delivery group that enables Abcam and its global customers to advance scientific research in important domains.
Your stakeholders could include our sales teams in China, the US or one of our other growing markets, our niche manufacturing capability in the UK, or even our own scientists using homegrown software.
Roles & Responsibilities
- To focus on ensuring smooth running of the overall delivery machinery including people, technology and working environment
- To enable engagement between stakeholders, Product Owners and delivery teams
- To ensure delivery by finding solutions to problems the team cannot solve themselves
- To use agile principles in applying governance to ensure pace and flow of work
We expect the delivery manager
- To understand how to use agile techniques to focus on delivery at pace without compromising on quality
- To be well versed in using Scrum
- To have good experience of applying agile principles
- To understand how to manage teams in a servant leadership style
- To have experience of facilitating story mapping for new products or projects
- To have experience of facilitating agile estimation
- To have experience of release roadmapping
- To understand reporting for agile delivery
- To have experience of working with distributed teams
- To have experience of working with a development partner
It would be beneficial if the delivery manager could
- Demonstrate past experience of being a development team member (e.g. engineer, QA or BA)
- Demonstrate appreciation of key enablers needed for agile delivery (CI, software craftsmanship, automation)
- Demonstrate experience of helping Product Owners set up appropriate stakeholder engagement (input and output)
- Act as a champion for agile techniques and practices
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.