Accounts Payable Manager (6 months contract)
As a global leader in the sale of research antibodies, Abcam is committed to serving life science researchers to achieve their mission, faster. We continue to identify the biological pathways of greatest interest to our consumers and continuously strive to provide products of the highest quality with increased specificity, reproducibility and sensitivity. At the same time, through investment and acquisition, we are expanding into new markets, identifying new technologies and applications while moving into new geographic regions, thereby driving sustainable growth.
Abcam was founded in 1998 and has been listed on the UK AIM market since 2005. Market capitalisation is in excess of £2bn and revenues for the last financial year ended 30 June 2019 were £260m.
The business continues to be strongly cash generative, and is putting that cash to work in both capital projects, to ensure the future scalability of the business, as well as investing further in the continued development of products and services. Strategic goals include expansion in growth markets and investing in operating capabilities and long-term plan incorporates investment to achieve revenue of £450-500m by 2024.
The US finance team comprises approximately fifteen individuals. The Accounts Payable Manager role sits within a team of currently ten financial services professionals split approximately evenly between accounts receivable and accounts payable. All report into the Financial Services Manager, but also supported by the Finance team in the UK.
The role therefore plays a key part in managing the Accounts Payable team and plays a vital role in the company’s growth by ensuring our suppliers are paid timely and can help liaise with other departments about policies and escalated queries. The position requires exceptional customer service and problem solving skills.
- Manage the AP team through 1:1 meetings, team meetings and daily support. Provide coaching, guidance and development plans to the Team where required and continue to build an effective foundation of trust, honesty and respect resulting in an efficient and dynamic department.
- Internal relationships
- Develop and maintain positive relationships internally to help promote Financial Services objectives - Liaise between departments to facilitate open communication.
- Point of contact for escalated inquiries from other departments.
- Liaise with the Internal & External customers and the procurement team as required to clarify any contract or purchase order issues.
- Work closely with Accounting Manager to ensure accounting in core ledgers is consistent and reflective of financial services team expectations.
- External relationships
- Provide customer service regarding supplier related issues.
- Resolve supplier discrepancies - process and review account adjustments as necessary.
- Ensure AP team is up to date with their payables, through KPI’s and other metrics.
- Processes and controls
- Ensure compliance with all internal policies regarding Expense Reports, CC Program, and Supplier Payments.
- Consider process of continual improvement by encouraging more effective ways of working.
- Monitor progress and as required take action to achievement of daily, weekly and end-of-month goals, ensuring timely close.
- Ensure that year end and half year deadlines are met.
- Ensure all external audit requirements are both anticipated and fulfilled within a 24 hour turnaround.
- Ensure applicable accounting policies are adhered to – in particular procure to pay processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Prior role in an Accounts Payable function dealing with significant volumes of transactions in multiple different forms.
- Integrated Payable systems experience (Oracle exposure useful, but not essential).
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, particularly MS Excel/Word/Outlook.
- Proven ability to succeed in a team-oriented environment.
- Superior communication skills – both oral and written.
- Self-motivated and possess a strong attention-to-detail.