Department: Research & Development
Location: Branford, Connecticut, United States
About the role:
Abcam’s Bioinformatics group is looking for a motivated and qualified Software Engineer to drive the development and maintenance of new software tools that will facilitate antibody discovery.
- Work closely with bioinformatics, data science and software developers to build, test and maintain software tools and web applications
- Develop, maintain and improve software database integration
- Apply and promote software engineering best practice
- Enhance data collection/processing and help with pipeline automation
- BS degree or higher in computer science or related quantitative fields of study
- At least 2 years of experience with two or more programming languages like Python (preferred), Java, C++, along with experience with SQL, Git
- Full software-life cycle experience: software requirements, design, implementation, testing and maintenance
- Experience with one or more of R, Perl, Bash a plus
- Affinity and motivation to learn new languages and technologies
- Experience/familiarity with Nginx or Apache servers with a solid background in Linux
- Experience collaborating with cross functional teams
- Familiarity with DBMS technology, including SQLServer, Oracle, MongoDB and MySQL and caching mechanisms such as Redis, Memcached and Varnish
- Experience working with cloud computing (such as Amazon web services)
Documentation and communication skills for changes made to systems
- Proactive about monitoring and maintaining systems
- Strong troubleshooting and analysis skills
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.