Senior Scientist - Purification
Abcam is looking for a Senior Scientist to join our team in Cambridge MA, working to purify and analyze high quality recombinant proteins for development as standalone products at Abcam. The goal of this product line is to deliver outstanding products to our customers and help Abcam achieve our aim of being the most influential company in life sciences by helping advance global understanding of biology and causes of disease, which, in turn, will drive new treatments and improved health.
- Purification of proteins using automated (FPLC) equipment using various chromatography methods, including affinity, charge and size-based separations.
- Experience in purification of proteins with and without tags.
- Analysis of proteins utilizing common techniques, such as endotoxin, SDS-PAGE, HPLC-SEC and Mass Spec.
- Independently design, plan and conduct laboratory experiments in support of new product development.
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required.
- Communicate clearly with team members within the Protein Sciences Group, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation as well as clearly presented data to support ongoing and completed work.
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analyzing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Support and foster a safe and efficient working environment within the Laboratory and ensure the safety of colleagues and visitors and adhere to all health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the facility is compliant with all internal and external quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
maintenance and troubleshooting of scientific equipment.
You have a proven track-record in industry, thriving in a fast-paced environment. You have demonstrated experience in protein purification and delivery of proteins meeting purity specifications. You have a strong working knowledge of protein expression and molecular biology in order to engage in conversation with colleagues in those areas in order to troubleshoot your own work.
The successful candidate will have a PhD degree in Biological Science plus 2 years of experience; Master’s degree plus 7 years of experience; Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of experience, in bioengineering, biochemistry or biology.
- Industrial experience in protein purification, purifying multiple proteins for several projects at a time.
- Experience with lyophilization a plus.
- Established track record of thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Motivated, positive and enthusiastic team player with strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Hard-working and motivated to deliver the highest quality proteins.
- Experience managing junior staff.
communication and organizational skills.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.