Senior Scientist Protein
Job spec: Senior Scientist Protein Sciences Hangzhou
Level of entry: Senior Scientist
Reports into: Head of Protein Science (Gráinne)
About the role
We are seeking a highly skilled protein purification and chromatography expert to lead a team of scientists. We are looking for someone who is passionate about producing high quality proteins.
Taking responsibility for delivery of proteins to expected quality standards and timelines, the successful candidate will take leadership in ensuring the success of the pipeline and in communication of any potential issues or delays.
You will be an expert on protein purification and chromatographic techniques. You will be able to break down broad company objectives into achievable technical tasks and communicate these. You will have a proven track record of delivering projects with impressive results as well as an ability to teach and mentor others.
- PhD degree (or can demonstrate and equivalent level of expertise) with extensive experience in industry/academia-setting, (typically 5 years)
- Expert in protein purification
- Excellent standard of English and perhaps have studied or lived in and English-speaking area.
- Passionate about team development
- Experience of people management
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Purification of recombinant protein antigens
- Ensure proteins are of high quality
- Troubleshoot methods with a focus on continuous improvements
- Communicate clearly with managers and the RabMab team, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation and clearly presented lab results to support ongoing and completed work
- Communicate any potential issues or delays with affected colleagues in a timely manner
- Discuss lab results and optimisation with other labs around the world
- Ensure that experiments and procedures are documented appropriately in laboratory notebooks and batch management records, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s)
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required
- Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, including ISO9001
- Mentor and provide training to other members of staff
- Expert in protein purification, with extensive skills in AKTA programming, knowledge of high-throughput purification methods such as Protein Maker or Kingfisher would be an advantage.
- Expert protein chromatography, Affinity Chromatography, endotoxin depletion and Size Exclusion Chromatography are essential skills
- Good understanding of Protein biophysical analysis, including HPLC, mass spec, DLS and Tm measurements
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the effect of buffering on protein stability
- An understanding of antigens and immunizations would be a plus
- Experience of managing medium sized teams
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.