Level of entry: Senior Scientist
Reports into: Head of Protein Science (Gráinne)
About the role
We are seeking a highly skilled protein purification and chromatography expert to lead a team of scientists. We are looking for someone who is passionate about producing high quality proteins. Taking responsibility for delivery of proteins to expected quality standards and timelines, the successful candidate will take leadership in ensuring the success of the pipeline and in communication of any potential issues or delays.
You will be an expert on protein purification and chromatographic techniques with strong experience in expression of recombinant proteins from E.coli, mammalian and insect cell systems. You will be able to break down broad company objectives into achievable technical tasks and communicate these. You will have a proven track record of line-management and delivering projects with impressive results as well as an ability to teach and mentor others.
The goal of this role is to deliver outstanding products to our customers and help Abcam achieve our aim of being the most influential company in life sciences by helping advance global understanding of biology and causes of disease, which, in turn, will drive new treatments and improved health.
- PhD degree (or can demonstrate and equivalent level of expertise) with extensive experience in industry, (typically a minimum of 5 years)
- Expert in protein purification
- Strong protein expression skills using a range of expression systems
- Passionate about team development
- Experience of people management
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Expression and Purification of recombinant protein antigens
- Protein conjugations, labelling and modification in vitro
- Ensure proteins are of high quality
- Troubleshoot methods with a focus on continuous improvements
- Communicate clearly with managers and key stakeholders, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation and clearly presented lab results to support ongoing and completed work
- Communicate any potential issues or delays with affected colleagues in a timely manner
- Discuss lab results and optimisation with other labs around the world
- Ensure that experiments and procedures are documented appropriately in laboratory notebooks and batch management records, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s)
- Ensure timely completion of Certificates of Analysis for proteins as required
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required
- Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, including ISO9001
- Mentor and provide training to other members of staff
- Expert in protein production, with extensive skills in AKTA programming. Knowledge of high-throughput purification methods such as Protein Maker or Kingfisher would be an advantage
- Expert protein chromatography
- Experience of protein modification including Biotinylation, conjugation and addition of post-translational modifications in vitro
- Line-management experience
- Good understanding of Protein biophysical analysis, including HPLC, mass spec, DLS and Tm measurements
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the effect of buffering on protein stability
- An understanding of antigens and immunizations would be a plus
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
We are incredibly proud to be recognised as the ‘3rd Best Place to Work in the UK in 2021’, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award. Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.