Senior Scientist - Biochemistry
Department: Research and Innovation
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
About the role:
The Research and Innovation department at Abcam is vital to sustaining Abcam’s innovation and their mission to help researcher’s get results faster. We are seeking a Senior Scientist to support the Conjugation team in our Cambridge headquarters. This is an exciting opportunity to explore and develop new conjugation tools and products used by Life Science and Diagnostic Companies.
We are looking for someone with a chemistry/biochemistry background and experience in conjugation.
The Senior Scientist will be leading and execute a variety of conjugation and conjugates characterisation projects, with a special focus on investigating and validating novel labels and labelling techniques. The processes generated will be then tech transferred and implemented across different manufacturing sites, to support and drive the expansion of innovative and ambitious goals within the Conjugation Programme.
The ideal candidate will have experience in antibody conjugation and chromatographic techniques for biomolecules characterization (RP-HPLC, SEC, SEC-MALS, HIC, IEX) and purification (AKTA).
Roles & responsibilities:
The candidate will be involved in a variety of laboratory-based projects as part of a small team of scientists and collaborating with other groups across the organisation.
- Lead the development and optimisation of conjugation chemistry for a variety of conjugates
- Synthesise, purify, and establish efficient analytical characterization of linkers and conjugates
- Ensure robust processes with required throughput
- Formulate strategies and execute on appropriate timescales
- Communicate clearly with Programme Managers and the Conjugation team, providing updates on milestones, agreed deliverables, necessary documentation and clearly presented experimental results to support ongoing and completed work
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and risk assessments
- Lead by example working in a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors. Support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines
You will have an action-oriented and flexible mindset in anticipating and adopting innovations in conjugation technologies.
You will have excellent knowledge of a variety of conjugation chemistries, purification strategies and associated analytics such as HPLC and LC/MS. Experience with antibodies is highly desirable.
You are able to collaborate and communicate effectively, work independently as well as part of a team.
You will manage to work on numerous tasks and/or projects simultaneously at a high degree of complexity.
- A PhD in chemistry or biochemistry + 3 years’ experience in industry or equivalent research experience
- Industrial/academic experience in delivering projects to tight deadlines
- A track record of delivering successful innovation projects and products
- Familiarity with trades secrets and intellectual property, providing relevant and timely information to legal counsel
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.