Senior Research Associate
About the role
We have a great opportunity to join the Custom Solutions Team in Burlingame, CA. The successful candidate will be working in a small tissue culture team dedicated to the isolation and manufacture of custom-made antibodies for external customers. He/she will be hardworking, flexible, and able to function effectively in a fast-paced team environment. A willingness to work with high throughput automation and specialized equipment and for learning new techniques and methods, is essential.
About Custom Solutions at Abcam
The Custom Solutions team in Burlingame is responsible for the development of best in class antibodies for various commercial and academic clients.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Produce hybridomas for the development of monoclonal antibodies
- Routinely passage suspension, adherent, and hybridoma cell lines
- Prepare specialised media, and support hybridoma productions
- Document experiments and procedures by writing laboratory notebooks, presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting of standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Adhere to all health and safety rules and regulations. Assist in developing and role modelling of a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory to ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors. Ensure compliance to Laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H & S, Ethical and Quality standards
- Work as part of the team to implement experimental plans
- Maintain documentation of work, contribute to data analysis and interpretation of results
- Help assess information to ensure data quality and completeness of results
- Ability to communicate results to supervisor and peers
- Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to multitask
- Assist with regular assigned laboratory maintenance duties
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences (or closely-related discipline)
- 4-years of experience working in a laboratory setting
- 1 year of cell culture experience
- Familiarity with Microsoft office
- MS Degree in Biological Sciences (or closely-related discipline)
- 2 years of cell culture experience
- Experience with hybridoma development
- Working knowledge of scientific principles and SOPs with an ability to work on complex problems requiring in-depth evaluation of various factors
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player, with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.