Senior Manufacturing Manager (12 months FTC)
About the role
An opportunity has arisen to lead a cross-functional team delivering recombinant antibodies for use in immunohistochemistry applications and manufactured under ISO13485 (2003) quality standard. These antibodies are developed and supplied to our customers for use in critical care, serving as diagnostic reagents in pathology settings. The role is based in Burlingame, California and part of the Global Manufacturing Team.
This role is to provide leadership that will drive performance in a customer-focussed fashion for on-time delivery of exceptional quality antibodies. The person in this role will be experienced in co-ordinating cross-functional teams, driving a culture of continuous improvement and measuring performance against KPI.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone aiming to deliver real, lasting change and sustainable business benefits.
About BUR Manufacture
BUR is the primary site for manufacture of recombinant antibodies to support Abcam’s in vitro diagnostic business. New additions to the IVD portfolio are also qualified at this site, in association with our new product discovery site, based in Hangzhou, China and integrated with our product portfolio and innovation team, headquartered in UK. The IVD portfolio and order management is supported by our supply chain, planning and logistics departments, with customer service support from our customer experience teams, sales team and business development functions. This is a regulated business, operating under ISO13485(2003) standard.
The business will also be undertaking implementation of an ERP system, with integration of warehouse management, planning and order management capabilities
- Lead and build a cross-matrix team, focussed on delivering on-time manufacture of products, delivered to exceed customer and quality needs
- Coach junior members of the team to support their performance and career development, identifying training needs and working with stakeholders to provide support
- Development and reporting KPI metrics to monitor manufacture and portfolio progression, including performance, budget and time criteria, delivering success whilst minimizing cost and time and maintaining quality
- Oversee efficient development and addition of new products to the portfolio
- Deliver an effective stakeholder communication strategy, including engagement with the leadership team to report on progress, identifying constraints and relaying mitigation strategies
- Champion continuous improvement and engage with Operational Excellence and QA teams to deliver effective solutions
- Role model a safe working environment, adhering to Abcam’s H & S standards and Operational Excellence policies
- Be a positive ambassador for change management and the implementation of system solutions
- You will have 7+ years of manufacture, with knowledge of ISO13485 and continuous improvement approaches to optimize performance
- Use of KPI and critical path measurements will be second nature
- You will have previously demonstrated excellent people management skills and have experience of building cross-functional high performing matrix teams and be able to coach reports to support their career development
- You will be a confident communicator, able to understand Ab production processes and translate these to manufacturing and supply chain requirements
- Skills with diverse stakeholder management and maintaining engagement and communications across global functions are expected
- An understanding of licensing / trade secrets is advantageous
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.