Senior Data Science Digital Product Manager
Abcam is committed to scaling and using data science to help us serve life scientists to achieve their mission, faster. Abcam is using data science to automate business processes, gain insights through data analytics and engage with customers and employees. The Senior Data Science Digital Product Manager will build and manage a productization plan that will help us achieve this objective. Prior experience taking data science products to market is required.
The Senior Data Science Digital Product Manager (Senior DPM) is responsible for the development and delivery of our data science digital product landscape, ensuring product quality, value and alignment with our overall product vision & strategy.
The Senior DPM will oversee the data science area of strategic value, be accountable and manage the roadmap of the corresponding product(s) and lead multi-disciplinary teams organised around that strategy. This includes full accountability for the value it delivers in support of Abcam’s vision and mission, leadership of all aspects of its life-cycle from inception to replacement, and responsibility for all aspects of its success.
This role is positioned within Abcam Digital. It has a solid reporting line into the Vice President, Data & Advanced Analytics, and a strong alignment to the Digital Product Management leader (CPO/Chief Product Officer).
- Formulate and drive the vision for your product / product area, using business insight and product discovery techniques.
- Lead one or more multi-disciplinary teams in the development and delivery of those products.
- Use qualitative and quantitative methods to understand and measure areas of opportunity, progress against goals, and the success of existing initiatives.
- Lead the investment case and budget approval process for the Digital Product(s).
- Marshal and direct the necessary capabilities and resources to achieve success of the Digital Product(s) through its life-cycle – including within Data & Advanced Analytics, across Abcam Digital and with external suppliers.
- Build strong relationships and engage frequently with internal and external stakeholders, to build sponsorship, advocate adoption and deliver change.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams within Abcam Digital as well as in other parts of Abcam.
- Evangelise, implement and embed agile methodology in Abcam Digital.
- Provide coaching to team members to promote good product practice, promote effective ways of working and the Abcam Digital revolution as a whole.
- Deep understanding of agile methodologies and extensive practical experience of delivering products using agile approaches. Able to help team select appropriate practices.
- Understanding of the product lifecycle and capable of defining and adapting the team to deliver at each stage.
- Detailed practical experience of product management tools and techniques, from roadmap, backlog and release planning to prioritisation tools and techniques.
- Experienced in using product discovery techniques and ensuring products are customer-focused, as demonstrated through use and interpretation of customer insight to drive strategic planning.
- Intimate knowledge of Data, Advanced Analytics and Data Science
- Working knowledge of the Digital marketplace, trends in technology and available applications.
- Deep knowledge of the Digital Products within the remit of Data & Advanced Analytics and proven track record in management of Digital Products.
- Strong communication skills with internal and external stakeholders at different levels of seniority
- Ability to distill and effectively manage information and align strategy of Digital Products to the functional and company goals
- Effective leadership skills, including leading and organizing resources outside direct line control
- Able to work both in a team (as member and/or leader) and independently, to deliver results
- Good attention to detail and an ability to analyse and use data in decision making.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities
- Experience identifying, diagnosing and resolving issues independently; will take initiative even under unfamiliar or ambiguous circumstances
- Ability to convey ideas and recommendations in a clear, compelling and succinct way in written and verbal communications
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Bachelor’s or First degree in Sciences or Humanities,
- Relevant experience in Product Management is required (e-commerce environment ideal)
- Relevant experience in Data Science
- Demonstrated experience and success in helping managers align planning and business strategy
- Increased scope and complexity in case work