Senior Buyer (Indirect) - 12 month FTC
About the Role:
This is a newly created role within Abcam, managing procurement activity for indirect and capital purchases on behalf of the Global procurement function. The position is fixed-term for 12 to 18 months.
You will utilise your knowledge of sourcing and supplier relationship management that support Abcam’s business needs - building and maintaining reliable and high-quality supply strategies at the best possible cost. Maximising value will be essential by yielding value from established business relationships as well as onboarding new suppliers. You will be responsible to work directly with key business stakeholders – to understand the strategic initiatives required to support business objectives, as well as opportunities for supply network consolidation globally and managing business risk. You will understand market trends and work to identify areas of improvement to drive additional value for the organisation, while meeting the business requirements.
You will use your relationship management, operations optimisation, continuous improvement, contract design & oversight skills to deliver best total cost, pushing the implementation of best practices within the indirect procurement category.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Management of procurement activity for indirect and capital requirements, including creating RFPs and conducting benchmark analysis to ensure the supply base is competitive and to demonstrate what best value is.
- Conduct and organise supplier meetings and SRM reviews.
- Perform due diligence to assess suitability and sustainability of new suppliers using the preferred Abcam tools and techniques.
- Manage a complex internal stakeholder landscape to define business requirements and meet stakeholder expectations.
- Partner with the relevant internal and external stakeholders to drive sourcing strategy for indirect procurement, ensuring to understand and incorporate market trends, dynamics and requirements are ‘fit for purpose’.
- Work cross-functionally to discuss and resolve ongoing supplier-related issues.
- Negotiate contractual terms with suppliers to achieve quality, service and cost targets.
- Management of end to end contracting process that ensures the best commercial terms and value delivery short and long term.
- Adopt a total cost of ownership mindset to drive new ways of working with the business and suppliers.
- Contribute and adhere to procurement policies and procedures to improve the compliance agenda and drive best practices.
- Apply risk management techniques to ensure appropriate measures are taken to mitigate against financial, reputational, legal, business continuity and performance risk exposure.
You will be educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a Business, Operations / Engineering, or Supply Chain Management subject, in addition you will also either be a holder of CIPS accreditation or working towards it.
You will have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in procurement or supply chain management (experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical / life sciences would be desirable not essential) and you will have previous experience managing indirect categories, including facilities management and corporate services. You will have a track record in managing contract negotiations that minimize / reduce risk exposure to the business. You will be a strong communicator with the ability to lead negotiations and deliver cost savings and influence stakeholders and suppliers and across the wider business at all levels. You will be comfortable working independently and managing your workload to achieve the project targets and timelines.
In addition, you will be results driven with the ability to translate business needs into tangible sourcing activities and added value. If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law