Abcam is a global life sciences company providing highly validated antibodies and other binders and assays to the research and clinical communities to help advance the understanding of biology and causes of disease.
Our mission is to serve life scientists to help them achieve their mission faster by listening to their needs, continuously innovating and improving and by giving them the tools, data and experience they want. Our ambition is to become the most influential life science company for researchers worldwide.
About the role:
This is a newly created role within Abcam, leading procurement activity for indirect and capital purchases for a global multi-year business project on behalf of the Global procurement function. The position is fixed-term for a minimum of 1 years.
You will utilise your knowledge of sourcing to develop and execute strategies with suppliers that support Abcam’s business needs - building and maintaining reliable and high-quality supply strategies at the best possible cost. Maximising value will be essential by yielding value from established business relationships as well as onboarding new suppliers. You will be responsible to work directly with key business stakeholders – to understand the strategic initiatives required to support the project, as well as opportunities for supply network consolidation globally and managing business risk. You will understand market trends and work to identify areas of improvement to drive additional value for the organisation, while meeting the project requirements.
You will use your relationship management, operations optimisation, continuous improvement, contract design & oversight skills to deliver best total cost, pushing the implementation of best practices within the project and beyond.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Lead procurement for indirect and capital requirements for a global project.
- Globally accountable for a cost-efficient sourcing models for all requirements and locations in scope. Including benchmarking the markets specific to the project and an ability to demonstrate what best value is.
- Manage a complex internal stakeholder landscape in order to define the project procurement scope and business requirements.
- Partner with the relevant internal and external stakeholders to develop a short and long term best in class sourcing strategy for the project, ensuring to understand and incorporate market trends, dynamics and requirements are ‘fit for purpose’.
- Work cross-functionally to discuss and resolve ongoing supplier-related issues.
- Negotiate contractual terms with suppliers to achieve quality, service and cost targets.
- Management of end to end contracting process that ensures the best commercial terms and value delivery short and long term.
- Adopt a total cost of ownership mindset to drive new ways of working with the business and suppliers.
- Contribute and adhere to procurement policies and procedures to improve the compliance agenda and drive best practices.
- Apply risk management techniques to ensure appropriate measures are taken to mitigate against financial, reputational, legal, business continuity and performance risk exposure.
You will be educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a Business, Operations / Engineering, or Supply Chain Management subject, in addition you will also either be a holder of CIPS accreditation or equivalent.
You will have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in procurement or supply chain management (experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical / life sciences would be desirable not essential) and you will have previous experience managing indirect and capital procurements. You will have a proven track record in project management and leading contract negotiations that minimize / reduce risk exposure to the business. You will be a strong communicator with the ability to lead negotiations and deliver cost savings and influence stakeholders and suppliers and across the wider business at all levels. You will be comfortable working independently and managing your workload to achieve the project targets and timelines.
In addition, you will be results driven with the ability to translate business needs into tangible procurement strategies and value. If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!