Scientist - protein expression
*please note this role will start in our Natick, MA location and move to our brand new office in Waltham, MA in May 2021
Abcam is looking for a Scientist to join our team in Natick, MA, working to express high quality recombinant proteins for development as standalone products at Abcam. The goal of this product line is to deliver outstanding products to our customers and help Abcam achieve our aim of being the most influential company in life sciences by helping advance global understanding of biology and causes of disease, which, in turn, will drive new treatments and improved health.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Express proteins at small and medium scale in mammalian or bacterial cell systems.
- Generation of transfection grade DNA for recombinant protein expression.
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required.
- Communicate clearly with team members within the Protein Sciences Group, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation as well as clearly presented data to support ongoing and completed work.
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analyzing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Support and foster a safe and efficient working environment within the Laboratory and ensure the safety of colleagues and visitors and adhere to all health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the facility is compliant with all internal and external quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
- Routine maintenance and troubleshooting of scientific equipment.
You have a proven track-record in industry, thriving in a fast-paced environment. You have demonstrated experience improving protein expression utilizing your knowledge of cell culture (mammalian, microbial). You have a strong working knowledge of purification and analytical platforms in order to engage in conversation with colleagues in those areas in order to troubleshoot your own work.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of industry experience, or a Master’s degree with 1 year of industry experience in protein expression.
- Industrial experience in protein expression, generating proteins for multiple projects at a time.
- Established track record of thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Motivated, positive and enthusiastic team player with strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Hard-working and motivated to deliver the highest quality proteins.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.