Scientist, Molecular Biology
Fremont is the primary site for the generation of gene-edited cell lines to support Abcam’s CRISPR cell engineering services. We use the cutting-edge CRISPR/genome editing technologies to endogenously modify and characterise a variety of cell lines including cancer cells, mammalian or primary cells, immune and neurones cells and induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSCs). As a part of Cell Line Technology Development, we work within a multifaced community with broad technical expertise to improve current gene editing techniques and collaboratively work across many business areas with local and global matrix teams.
About the role
We are looking to expand the team as we look to become a leader in the cell engineering field. With this in mind, we are recruiting for a Molecular Scientist to join our Molecular Biology team. This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career within a growing business by playing a hands-on role in the usage of molecular biology to support the accomplishment of Cell service projects and any internal product development service projects.
This research-based role will give you the opportunity to apply your molecular expertise and develop new research skills to contribute to the development of our edited cell lines.
- Perform pre-sale project and formal project design for gene editing
- Construct, prepare, QC test or order reagent in-house or outsource, including primer design, gRNA or donor plasmid vector construction, ssDNA, ssODN donor, plasmid-mini-, midi-, or maxi-preparation or outsource, etc.
- Plan and manage multiple projects, conduct genotyping and gRNA validation using multiple approaches, including PCR, Sanger Sequencing, NGS, qPCR, ddPCR, Surveyor assay, or any other assays as needed
- Generate high-quality and deliverable data, perform data analysis and report in a timely, troubleshooting wherever needed
- Directly interact and update the project progress with the project manager for an efficient delivery
- Provide technique support and guidance to Research Associate as need
- Anticipate problems to minimize issues, work to resolve any issues to minimize impact on success of projects
- Collaborate and exchange the technique protocols, tips and experience with other team members internally or externally
- Create and manage good documentation of experimental data and reagent inventory.
- Perform a good laboratory practice and maintenance
- Work in accordance with current health and safety procedures, abide by laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H&S, Ethical, and Quality standards
- Perform additional relevant duties as needed and assigned
- PhD in molecular biology, cell biology, genetics or related biological life science
- 3+ years hands-on experiences in academic or industrial settings
- Direct experience working gene editing using CRISPR/Cas9 techniques
- Nucleic acid purification from bacteria, cultured cells and/or animal tissues
- Molecular cloning and design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Genotyping using PCR, qPCR, ddPCR, sanger sequencing, NGS
- Data reading, analysis and presentation
- Experience supervising and developing the technical skills of others
- Exceptional organizational, time-management skills and careful attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate within a team-based environment
- Excellent computer skills including instrumentation specific software and proficiency in Microsoft Office
More About You
This position would suit a hardworking, detail-orientated person who is able to function effectively in a fast-paced and close-knit team environment. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about exceeding our customer expectations and supporting the team to deliver challenging and exciting projects. An eagerness to learn new techniques/technologies and excellent communication skills are a must.
You will be educated to at least degree level in a life sciences-related subject. Our ideal candidate will have some experience working in a scientific industry/lab and have an awareness of working to strict timelines and demanding quality standards. Prior experience in cell culture and/or molecular biology is desirable, although not essential as full training will be provided.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.