Scientist - Imaging
About this role
Abcam is looking for a
Scientist to join our team in Branford supporting the validation of new
products from our recombinant antibody pipelines and will form part of our
network of immunohistochemistry experts around the globe. The Imaging team plays an essential role in
the validation of our antibodies and new products working in
immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry and flow cytometry. We are looking to
recruit a highly motivated Scientist with experience in histology and
histopathological techniques. This role
is a permanent position.
- PhD, MSc or BSc in Biology or related fields or equivalent experience in industry setting.
- Extensive experience in histology, including tissue sample preparation, tissue sectioning (both cryo and paraffin microtome), special stains and particularly immunohistochemistry both in brightfield and fluorescence
- Experience in automated immunohistochemistry, with experience in Leica Bond desirable.
- Experience of fluorescence or brightfield microscopy and image analysis, with experience of automated digital pathology equipment an advantage.
- An understanding of processes involved in their development.
- Histological tissue recognition of normal and diseased tissue states using H&E and IHC.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize, multitask and work to deadlines.
- Flow Cytometry and working knowledge of CRISPR is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Excellent organization skills and familiarity with a fast-paced work environment are required.
- Independent, requiring minimum supervision, works well with others, and thrives in a collaborative, matrix environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office and accurate record keeping with LIMS
- Be a team player; facilitate open and constructive communication within the Imaging team and other teams within the company.
- Experience of working within the Life Science Industry.
- Experience in
writing and reviewing SOPs and Risk Assessments.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Contribute to projects and initiatives as required within the Imaging applications of IHC and ICC-IF.
- Perform and train others in high quality human tissue sectioning and tissue tracking.
- Point of contact for all tissue ordering.
- Perform routine, high throughput automated and manual IHC for novel antibody targets.
- Define suitable testing conditions, plan and conduct experiments in IHC and ICC-IF, where required.
- Monitor the quality of the human tissue bank using routine morphological and immunohistochemical procedures.
- Actively seek to improve testing conditions for individual products to best demonstrate product performance.
- Validate new assay protocols and integrate them into standard work streams.
- Support existing Imaging team Scientists in various projects, as required.
- Help to establish and maintain high quality standards during experimental processes and record keeping. Abide by laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and keep accurate Batch Manufacturing Records (BMRs).
- Help establish a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory, ensure the safety of colleagues & visitors and comply with Health and Safety (H&S) policies.
Ever since 1998, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam when our founder has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.
You will be joining Abcam at an exciting time of growth and innovation!