About the role
Abcam is hiring an experienced bench scientist for the development of novel homogenous immunoassays in our Eugene, OR facility. This vital role will be responsible for the development, characterization and optimization of novel reagents, antibodies and single/multiplex immunoassay kit products for commercialization to life science researchers.
A strong background in antibodies and multiplex immunoassays, screening fluorescence detection technologies, homogenous assays including TRFRET and protein conjugations is preferred. Ideal candidates should meet the following criteria:
- PhD in biochemistry, biology, immunology or a related discipline
4-6 years’ bench experience working with antibodies, immunoassays, flow cytometry and chemical conjugations
Roles & responsibilities:
- Develop high-quality antibody pairs, homogenous single and multiplex immunoassay kits with associated documentation.
- Identify and employ new technologies for antibody and assay development.
- Independently design, plan and conduct laboratory experiments in support of new product development.
- Identify and resolve problems in experimental design.
- Maintain good laboratory records and presentation of regular internal research reports.
- Provide clear manufacturing instructions, QC specifications and technical support to Manufacturing for developed products including details of performance, stability and packaging.
- Prepare technical reports, product summaries, protocols and SOPs, quantitative analyses and journal publications, where appropriate.
- Presentation to a wider audience may be necessary which includes attendance at conferences to communicate available products, research data generated and acquire new product and collaboration leads.
- Provide technical assistance and marketing support to the commercial operations selling reagents, antibodies, and immunoassay kits.
- Provide technical assistance to customer support and directly to customers for reagents, antibodies, and immunoassay kits.
- Comply with all safety and quality regulations.
- Routine maintenance and troubleshooting of scientific equipment.
- May be required to supervise junior members of staff.
- May be required to perform other duties as required/assigned.
Required Experience and Technical Skills:
Critical thinking and independent judgment with only general direction necessary.
Prior hands on development and optimization of antibodies and homogenous single/multiplex immunoassays.
Prior hands on experience in antibody applications including flow cytometry, immunofluorescence microscopy, Western blotting, ELISA and antibody conjugations.
- A detailed understanding of the biology and chemistry of immunoassays.
- A detailed understanding of the biological pathways involved.
- Cell culture and specimen handling experience.
Demonstrated ability to work independently, and in method development, experimental design, and data analysis.
- Previous experience supervising technical staff
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Excellent computer skills including instrumentation specific software, and proficiency in Microsoft office.
PhD in biology, immunology, biochemistry or related subject.
PhD with 3+ years’ experience in an antibody or assay development environment is highly desirable. Prior experience in Life Sciences reagents industry very highly desirable. Knowledge of GLP and GMP a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Sitting, using a computer
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Lab setting 50%
- Office setting 50%
- Exposure to toxic/hazardous/dangerous chemicals and biohazards
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.