Scientist, Antibody Discovery Project Lead
About the role
Our Antibody Discovery Project Leads are responsible for leading antibody discovery projects within our new product development platforms in Branford, CT. This role takes responsibility for robust scientific planning of our antibody generation projects and efficient and effective execution of those projects. This involves working closely with all teams involved in our product development processes to deliver high quality best-in-class products for our customers. This role is not typically lab-based, although they work hand-in-hand with our scientific teams working at the bench.
We are looking to recruit a motivated, proactive scientist with good research experience in cell biology and experience in the development and validation of antibodies. This is an important role that will manage planning, technical evaluation and execution of our antibody generation projects; ensure the quality of products developed in our labs; and develop our technical capabilities to meet the needs of our customers now and in the future. This role is not a supervisory role however you will be required to show technical leadership within multiple teams.
This role will be part of the global New Product Development (NPD) team within our R&D function. Due to our continued expansion, we are looking for scientists with experience within Immuno-Oncology, Neurobiology or Immunology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Management of individual antibody discovery projects to time, cost and quality standards; making effective and evidence-based decisions to deliver the best products we can for our customers.
- Research into structure, function and relevance of biological targets for which we are generating binders.
- Immunogen design and immunization strategy design.
- Experimental design of screening and validation assays to determine antibody specificity and performance.
- Data review and conclusion of outcomes for various assays undertaken during antibody development including Immunoblot (WB), Immunocytochemistry (ICC), Immunohistochemistry (IHC), Flow Cytometry, Immunoprecipitation (IP) and ELISA.
- Troubleshooting and resolution of issues during project progression.
- Regular reporting of project workload and progress.
- Actively mitigates project risk and resolves issues, escalating those issues where appropriate to broader NPD teams for support and resolution.
- Support effective management and visibility of our product development pipeline
- Our ideal candidate will have significant research experience in Life Sciences with focus on Immuno-Oncology, Neurobiology or Immunology with at least 5 years of hand-on experience at the bench.
- You will have a strong background in cell biology and antibody development, with an MSc or PhD (or equivalent experience).
- Strong technical skill set with hands on experience in using techniques such as flow cytometry, western blotting, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry and ELISA.
- Whilst the role does not typically entail laboratory work, significant experience with antibodies and the capacity to interpret and analyze scientific data is essential.
- Highly organized, energetic, proactive, a strong team player and influencer.
- You must be comfortable working to deadlines and prioritizing different aspects of your role.
- You will be an effective and self-aware communicator, comfortable building relationships within the team and across the business.
- Previous experience within a commercial setting and project management experience would be an advantage, as would experience leading and directing scientific projects particularly with multisite involvement.
- Previous experience in high-content screening, proteomics, assay optimization and protein biochemistry would be advantageous.
- If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.