Scientist, Antibody Discovery
Abcam is looking for a Scientist to join our team in Branford supporting the antibody discovery pipeline and will form part of our global antibody discovery network of experts. The successful candidate will play a hands-on role in the company’s antibody discovery pipelines. We are looking for someone excited about the opportunity to develop and continually optimize a variety of immunology, molecular biology, cell culture, and screening techniques in support of high-quality recombinant antibody discovery. This role reports to the Antibody Generation Manager. This role may manage research associates and will work closely with other team members within the group.
About the Team
The New Product Development team in Branford is responsible for the development of best in class antibodies using our RabMAb discovery pipeline. This pipeline is utilized to generate antibodies to a variety of different target types.
- A BS, MS, Ph.D., or equivalent experience in immunology or closely related discipline with 8+ years relevant experience in an industry laboratory setting. Experience in molecular biology techniques (PCR, recombinant cloning) and NGS sequence analysis is highly required. Experience with Western Blot, immunohistochemistry or immunocytochemistry is also desired, but not required.
Roles & responsibilities
- Demonstrable experience with molecular biology techniques relevant to recombinant generation of antibodies from hybridoma (PCR, Mini-prep, gel electrophoresis, recombinant cloning) is required.
- Experience with primer design, NGS library generation and NGS sequence analysis
- Candidate should be familiar with most current principles, literature, and methods within antibody discovery.
- Hands on experience programming and using automated liquid handlers in the Antibody Discovery process
- Work collaboratively within regional team and across global teams
- Excellent data tracking and record keeping required, including appropriate population of laboratory notebooks and data management systems
- Present reports and results both to the global leadership teams and at scientific meetings and conferences
- Support trouble shooting of technical issues, work to resolve any issues to minimize impact on success of projects
- Strong understanding of delivery impact on the organization and time management skills, ability to multitask
- Lead by example as a strong laboratory citizen by following best lab practices. Assist with regular assigned laboratory maintenance duties
- Work in accordance with current health and safety procedures, abide by laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H&S, Ethical, and Quality standards
- Assist in other areas of the new product development team, as required, to support the team in meeting or exceeding deliverables
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
You have more than 6 years’ experience successfully leading teams in generating antibodies using traditional and recombinant methods in an industrial laboratory setting. You are an expert in antibody development and have working experience in hybridoma development and maintenance methods. Additionally, you have a proven track record for delivering as expected on time. You have demonstrated good laboratory skills and scientific principles. You are experienced in many techniques included but not limited to PCR, RT-PCR, NGS library generation and sequence analysis. You can multitask and to prioritize your work to meet deadlines. You can work both independently and collaboratively and can differentiate which is appropriate and when. You are detail-oriented, organized, able to write and implement protocols and maintain a detailed lab notebook.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced evolving environment and must be comfortable with hitting the ground running. If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.