Scientist – Technology development
About the role
Abcam, a rapidly expanding bioscience organisation, are looking for a highly experienced Scientist to join Technology Development department on a permanent basis. You will need to be available on a short notice and be able to hit the ground running and work within the department to develop novel technologies to assist efficient payload delivery into cells.
This is a very exciting opportunity for someone looking for a challenge, to work with cutting edge technological approaches and employ their critical thinking and problem-solving abilities to create novel intracellular delivery methods with unprecedented efficiency, ease and reproducibility of use. This will have an immediate and positive impact within the team, the department and company and ultimately support researchers and scientists across the world to discover more, faster!
Roles and responsibilities:
- Assess a novel technological approach to cell transfection and compare to fixed benchmarks and market leaders
- Plan and execute the experimental plan in conjunction with scientific lead
- Set-up, perform and troubleshoot assays as required
- Dissect variables to establish optimal protocols and develop SOPs
- Test all classes of payloads, compare and contrast successes
- Work to provide in-depth understanding of the system
- Document the work and results as appropriate, create reports and regularly provide clear and concise updates to the programme team
- Proactively seek information, advice and help when needed in order to achieve set goals
Role model in implementing safe and efficient working practices in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines
- Ensure compliance with applicable Abcam policies
- Set and achieve high standards for research and help others if required. Assist with general housekeeping duties.
- PhD in cell biology or equivalent
- Solid and proven experience in cell biology and transfection in a wide variety of cell types, from standard cell lines to primary cells
- Clear understanding of the fundamental science behind cell transfection, the variations in the transfection agents and their limitations
Extensive experience in cell validation and analysis post transfection, including (but not limited to) immunofluorescence, Western blotting, ELISA, Flow cytometry
Experience with transfection with various payloads
Excellent attention to detail, together with self-drive to deliver work on time while exceeding the required quality
A natural Team player, acutely aware of the need to share knowledge to drive innovation and allow for best cross-fertilisation of ideas
- Experience in molecular biology
- Experience in Biochemistry
- Good understanding of polymer chemistry and biophysics
- Management experience
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.