Scientific Support Specialist (full-time contract)
Please note that this is a full-time contract role for 8 months. This role will begin as remote, but will be moving to our brand new offices in Waltham in May 2021 when we move into our brand new office. This position can also be located in our Eugene, OR office.
About the role
Looking to continue using your life sciences knowledge and experience away from the bench? Are you the go-to person in your lab when experiments go awry? Do you get your colleagues back on track with excellent troubleshooting advice? Want to gain business skills in a fast-paced biotech environment? If so, this is your next career move!
As part of our Scientific Support Team, this (8-month contract) role is responsible for providing daily technical support to our customers via email and phone. This also involves liaising with production labs about the products, updating product datasheets and reviewing customer data. In addition, there is also departmental and inter-departmental projects, sharing your expertise with your team and the rest of the organization. As this role interacts directly with our customers you are required to use first class communication skills as well as expert scientific knowledge. The Scientific Support Specialist reports to Scientific Support Manager.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide an excellent level of technical support to researchers via phone and email, leading to high customer satisfaction as measured by Net Promoter Score
- Troubleshoot problems with antibody-based applications (western blot, IHC, ELISA, IP, FC, ChIP, etc.) and other protein detection related products and tools (biochemicals, assay kits, Multiplex miRNA & Immunoassays)
- Independently resolve complaints by providing optimal solutions to customers, balanced with commercial needs
- Improve our customers’ experiences with Abcam products and increase sales by cross-selling when recommending products
- Liaise with product suppliers to obtain product information and follow up on product quality control
- Update product datasheets when new information becomes available
- Spend up to 10% of time working on specific projects, often involving other departments, which benefit the business
- Serve our internal departments to improve product quality and customer experience
- Curate and publish product reviews submitted by customers
- Responsible for sending and handling product advisory notices
- Continually think of, suggest, and help implement process improvements for a wide range of activities (SOPs, training new hire and senior staff, etc.)
- Actively participate in team meetings and departmental discussions
- Stay up-to-date on new products, applications, and techniques through webinars and trainings
- Be proactive with your own learning and development
- Represent Abcam at vendor shows and conferences or Abcam home grown events by giving booth tech talks or live webinars
- Support the sales and marketing departments through sales mini teams, large volume product recommendations, passing leads and nurturing key accounts
You’re an experienced bench scientist with a strong foundation working with antibodies (Western Blots, IHC, etc). You have a passion for helping others and you possess outstanding communication skills. You’re looking for a role where you can continue to use your scientific expertise but move into more of a customer-facing role!
Summary of Job requirements
- B.S. in a life sciences field
- 2 years' additional laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications. Experience must include western blotting or immunohistochemistry.
- M.Sc. in life sciences field with at least 1 year additional Laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications or a B.S. in life sciences field with at least 4 years additional Laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications
- Laboratory experience in multiple major antibody-based applications (WB, IP, FACS, ELISA, IHC, ICC, ChIP, any multiplex assays)
- Experience in DNA and RNA molecular biology
- Background in chemistry with experience using and troubleshooting assay kits and/or the application of biochemicals in life sciences research
- Experience teaching or supervising staff or students
- Being able to handle change in a fast-paced environment
- Customer service and/or call center experience
- Friendly, positive, self-motivated, and a good team player
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys and excels at troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ability to work independently and multitask
- Keen attention to detail
- Takes initiative and follows up on work appropriately
- Experienced and comfortable using computers and software programs, must be comfortable with Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Any previous experience with an ERP system
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.