Scientific Support Manager
Job Title: Scientific Support Manager
About the role
The Scientific Support manager will lead the scientific support team in China office, to oversee pre-sale and post-sale technical support for Abcam products which covers primary antibodies, secondary antibodies, ELISA assays, agonists/antagonists, proteins/peptides, cellular and protein functional assays, epigenetic reagents, etc. As the leader of Scientific Support team, he/she is responsible to build a devoted team, and to motivate the team to provide fast and quality service, and to continuously improve customer satisfaction. He/she will also proactively work with other function to support marketing team and channel team to achieve sale target. As regional function leader, he/she is required to represent regional team in global meeting, presenting challenges and opportunities, seeking recourses, implementing global strategies.
Scientific Support team at Abcam
We are scientists from a wide range of research backgrounds, experienced in protein detection. We are to help scientists with any technical question regarding our products.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Responsible for regional scientific support leading to high customer satisfaction. Ensure frontline staff can troubleshoot problems with antibody-based applications (western blot, IHC, ELISA, IP, FC, ChIP, etc.) and other protein detection related products and tools (biochemicals, assay kits)
- Responsible for team’s weekly and monthly Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), improving and incorporating new metrics based on business need
- Providing scientific training and presentations to other departments and outside labs.
- Initiate or support cross function campaigns from consumer experience perspectives to improve customer satisfaction
- Coaching the team where necessary to improve performance and take ownership of tasks
- Coordinate the recruitment process with HR (reviewing resumes, scheduling phone screens, moving candidates forward to HR phone screen, holding first-round interviews, debriefing with other managers and director/HR on candidates, etc.)
- Ensure new hires receive consistent training (enlisting help from specialists) and continuous improvement of training process
- Build broad or/and deep interaction with consumers and distributors, to understand consumer needs in terms of targets and applications.
- Bridge headquarter with regional team, enhance cross region communication, and urge best practices sharing and applying
- Build and maintain a happy, capable and efficient team
- Supporting the sales and marketing departments through supporting POD mini teams, large volume product recommendations, passing leads and nurturing key accounts
- Provide ongoing feedback to direct reports and development conversations in structured and informal reviews
- Manage escalated customer issues as required
- Support other regional managers to achieve their goals
- Play an active role in the management team
- Actively organize and participate in team meetings, 1-to-1 coaching meetings, and departmental discussions
- Leads and manages project work that supports the overall company strategy
- Support the team and company objectives. You are required to report to Director of Asia Customer Experience Director.
- Ensure the success of China projects in fulfilling WeChat, Knowledgebase, Digital and Key Accounts supports.
- Minimum of a MPhil degree in biological-science field, and PhD is preferable.
- 2 years additional laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications. Experience must include western blotting or immunohistochemistry. Background in Epigenetics a plus
- High level of computer literacy and experience with CRM systems preferred
- Customer focused approach, with customer satisfaction being a core driver – understanding of Net Promoter Score
- Proven people management skills experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (Fluent in Mandarin and English)
- Have visionary thinking as well as efficient in task execution
- Ability to multitask, priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently from own initiative
- Willing to travel as needed.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
further information: https://careers.abcam.com/
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
There are six broad categories of products: primary antibodies; secondary antibodies; functional assays; ELISA and other kits; biochemicals, proteins and peptides; and lysates. Abcam’s information-rich products, together with expert customer support and fast delivery makes it the researcher’s choice.
Since its inception, the company has been propelled on an extensive growth journey; from selling antibodies “out of an ice-bucket” to delivering to over 140 countries worldwide, with over 1000 employees, over 140 in-house PhDs and 100,000 highly validated products on offer. The business reported full year revenues of £217.1 million (2016/17), evidencing the success of the strategy.
Vision – To be the most influential life sciences company for researchers worldwide
In 1998, post-doctoral researchers from the University of Cambridge, studying the newly discovered breast cancer protein, found it difficult to find quality antibody reagents that had honest and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam’s principal founder, Jonathan Milner, with support from his PhD supervisor and the CEO of a local IT/e-commerce consultancy, decided to put together an antibody organisation that could combine cutting edge research with the then relatively new capabilities that e-commerce systems were bringing to the retail world.
The concept was a simple one: make life science research tools available to the world via the internet; generate quality datasheets with supporting information; give researchers a voice to feedback how they work and share all this data with the rest of the research community. Initial successes in the early 2000s attracted the attention of local investors and like-minded scientists and talented individuals were then recruited, who formed the basis of Abcam's management team. Abcam became profitable in 2002 and between 1998 and 2003, posted a growth in sales of over 7,200%. In 2005, Abcam was listed on the London Stock Exchange AIM market with a placement of just over £15 million. Today, Abcam is a thriving hub of intellectual excellence, innovation and collaboration. Its current market capitalisation is circa £2.5 billion.
The business laid out five clear aims in 2014: to grow its core reagent business faster than the market; to establish new growth platforms; to attract and retain high-calibre talent, especially in e-commerce, IT and sales; to sustain ‘attractive economics’ by optimising operations efficiency and cost-effectiveness; and to selectively pursue partnerships and acquisitions.
Acquisitions are an integral part of the Abcam proposition, with the business successfully acquiring a number of businesses recently including MitoSciences (2011), Ascent Scientific (2011), Epitomics (2012), Firefly Bioworks Inc., AxioMx (2015) and part of Spring Bioscience more recently from Roche in 2018. These acquisitions were chosen to strengthen key components of the business model and have allowed increased access to new markets. Although the business is headquartered in Cambridge UK, it opened its first office overseas in 2003 and now has offices in the USA, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia with over 90% of its revenue coming from outside of the UK.
At the heart of the business, however, are the people. Abcam’s people are major assets to the business and are instrumental in creating an efficient and scalable organisation. The business aims to attract and retain the best people, empower them to succeed and build the capabilities necessary to deliver the strategy. In 2018 Abcam was highly commended in the Antibody Company of the Year CiteAb awards as well as winner in the antibody company with sustained success in China category. Abcam was also highly commended for the Antibody company succeeding in cancer biology and in the Researchers choice awards