About the role – Research associate –Custom Solutions
The successful candidate will support antibody generation within the Custom Solutions Team, using their scientific and technical skills to help deliver tailor-made rabbit monoclonal antibody projects on time and to high standards for external customers.
Abcam EMEA Custom Solutions team is part of a global section that offers customers (including leaders from the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry) tailor-made, high-performance antibody discovery projects to deliver solutions for their research, diagnostic and therapeutic programs. We utilize a number of approaches, including RabMAb® technology (our patented antibody technology), B cell cloning, Next Generation Sequencing and phage display for the development of high-quality monoclonal antibodies.
In particular, the successful candidate will;
- Support all aspects of the antibody generation process for tailor-made recombinant monoclonal antibody projects (mainly cell and molecular biology-based, but may be required to assist in assays/screening on occasion)
- Conduct standard molecular biology techniques and assays, such as PCR, nucleic acid extraction, transformation, transfection, ELISA, Western Blot, etc.
- Prepare specialised media and maintain and deliver core cell lines for use in transfection and high throughput assays
- Isolate primary cells for use in downstream antibody generation processes
- Use liquid handling automation to support high throughput sampling and screening
- Contribute to process and technology improvements
- Work closely with project managers and project stakeholders to relay project progress and delivery dates for key reagents
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, and compliance with all health and safety guidelines.
This position would suit a hardworking, detail-orientated person who is able to function effectively in a fast-paced and close-knit team environment. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about exceeding our customer expectations and supporting the team to deliver challenging and exciting projects. An eagerness to learn new techniques/technologies and excellent communication skills are a must.
You will be educated to at least degree level in a life sciences-related subject. Our ideal candidate will have some experience working in a scientific industry/lab and have an awareness of working to strict timelines and demanding quality standards. Prior experience in cell culture and/or molecular biology is desirable, as is any prior experience in antibody generation for biotech or pharma industries, although not essential as full training will be provided.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part
of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most
influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.