Research Associate - Immunohistochemistry
Job Title: Research Associate Immunohistochemistry – New Product Development
Location: Cambridge, UK
About the role:
Abcam are a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, with a global reputation for high performance products with detailed technical specifications. Due to internal progression, we now have an exciting opportunity within our New Product Development (NPD) function for a Research Associate with histology skills to primarily support the validation and characterization of antibody by immunohistochemistry techniques. You will be providing support to the IHC team by running routine experiments, collecting and communicating experimental data.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in manual and automated immunohistochemistry, tissue embedding, tissue microtomy and cryotomy, tissue microarray (TMA) building.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a fast-paced immunohistochemistry team in the Antibody Validation & Characterisation group in Cambridge and support the development of antibodies to aid researchers and scientists across the world to achieve their research missions, faster!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Performing routine automated Immunohistochemistry assays
- Performing microtomy/cryotomy
- Performing H&E and QC of tissue sections
- Producing tissue microarrays
- Performing digitisation and QC of IHC slides (Leica Aperio AT2 slide scanner).
- Accurately recording experimental details in Lab notebooks or the Batch Manufacturing Record (BMR) system.
- Abide by Laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H & S, Ethical and Quality standards.
- You will have extensive knowledge and understanding of technical principles, literature and methods in the field of immunohistochemistry.
- Hands-on experience in immunohistochemistry, automated IHC platforms (e.g Leica BOND, DAKO Link 48 or Ventana platforms), tissue embedding, tissue microtomy and cryotomy is essential with previous working experience in an NHS Histology laboratory being an advantage.
- Experience in building tissue microarrays is desirable but not essential.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
We are incredibly proud to be recognised as the ‘3rd Best Place to Work in the UK in 2021’, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award. Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.