About the role:
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated cell biologist to join the Cell Sciences Team. This is a permanent position based in Cambridge (UK) on the Biomedical Campus.
As a Research Associate in the Cell lines team you will be responsible for preparing top quality KO cell line banks, and supporting production of western lysates, for the Abcam catalogue via both the NPD and replenishment pipelines. This is a lab-based role and your daily activities will contribute directly to Abcam’s goals and values.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Perform mammalian cell cultures, of adherent and suspension cell lines, to generate final cell line stock
- Produce cell pellets to support generation of western blot lysates for the catalogue
- Perform cell treatments to upregulate biomarkers for generation of treated western blot lysate material and other QC activities
- Perform quality control mycoplasma testing of final cell line stock
- Work with multiple stakeholders (supply chain, logistics, project management) to deliver products to the catalogue and aid with reporting
- Work autonomously to record and deliver data to deadlines
- Support existing Cell Science team in various projects, as required
- Contribute to projects and initiatives as required within the Antibody Validation and Characterization group and effectively communicate with various stakeholders on the projects
- Help establish and maintain high quality standards during experimental processes and record keeping. Abide by laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and keep accurate Batch Manufacturing Records (BMRs)
- Help maintain a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory, ensure the safety of colleagues & visitors and comply with Health and Safety (H&S) policies
You will have a BSc or MSc in Life sciences, practical experience in mammalian cell culture is essential. Experience of working in an industry setting and/or under ISO9001 is desirable. Knowledge of CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing systems would be advantageous.
With excellent attention to detail, you will have good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, work across several projects, and to deadlines. You will be an enthusiastic team player; self-motivated, independent and able to facilitate open and constructive communication within the Cell Sciences team and other teams within the company.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.