Research Associate (12 months contract)
The successful candidate will play a hands-on role in the company’s use of a variety of molecular biology, assay development, and protein purification techniques in support of various commercial and academic customer projects to deliver high-quality and on-time customized recombinant antibodies. He or she will partner closely with other team members within the group and be required to make observations, analyze data, and interpret results with supervision.
About Custom Services at Abcam
The Custom Services Department is responsible for the development of best in class antibodies using a wide variety of antibody discovery pipelines and extensive suite of antibody characterization assays.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Execute experiments under direction of supervisor
- Work as part of the team to implement experimental plans
Support data management: ensure the recording and analysis of all processed data in a timely manner, with appropriate population of laboratory notebooks and data management systems
Help assess information to ensure data quality and completeness of results
- Ability to communicate results to supervisor and peers
Anticipate problems to minimize issues, work to resolve any issues to minimize impact on success of projects
- Assist with regular assigned laboratory maintenance duties
Work in accordance with current health and safety procedures, abide by laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H&S, Ethical, and Quality standards
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- B.S. in molecular biology, cell biology or a related field with 1-3 years of relevant laboratory experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Good knowledge of standard molecular biology/biochemistry protocols
- General understanding of scientific principles
- General laboratory skills required
- Detail-oriented, organized, able to implement protocols and maintain a detailed lab notebook
- Ability to multitask and prioritize to meet deadlines
- M.S. in molecular biology or a related field with 0-1 years of relevant laboratory experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Hands-on laboratory experience with some, or all, of the following techniques:
- Protein expression and purification
- Affinity chromatography
- Cell culture
- Cell line maintenance
- Cell Transfections
- Flow cytometry
- PCR & Molecular cloning
- Agarose gel electrophoresis
- Western blot
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being, and opportunities for growth and development.