Research Area Lead - Oncology (12 Month FTC)
Abcam are a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, with a global reputation for high performance products with detailed technical specifications. As we continue our rapid growth and success, we now have a need for a new permanent role within our New Product Development (NPD) function, working closely with our product development and commercial teams to drive product quality and performance in our areas of focus across life science research.
We are looking to recruit a motivated scientist with comprehensive research experience in cancer biology and related pathways, and experience in the development and validation of antibodies. This role will represent the ‘voice of the scientist’, working closely with our technical and commercial portfolio teams to develop new products in-house, and defining Abcam’s NPD strategy for our customers working within the field of oncology.
This is an important role that will contribute to technical evaluation and planning of our antibody generation projects, ensure the quality of products developed in our labs, and develop our technical capabilities to meet the needs of our customers now and in the future. This role will be part of the New Product Development (NPD) team and report into the Director of New Product Development Programmes.
The job is based at our Cambridge (UK) site, but the job holder will work closely across several teams in our global locations. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to steer and support the development of our products to aid researchers and scientists across the world to achieve their research missions, faster!
- Directly establish, manage and troubleshoot high value NPD projects to help drive the strategy and the quality of our portfolio.
- Develop and manage key product development collaborations and build a scientific network in the research communities we are serving.
- Set product quality and performance standards for our portfolio products (such as antibodies, ELISA kits, assay kits, proteins and cell lines), working collaboratively with our NPD project managers and product development teams globally.
- Ensure appropriate development and validation methods are in place across our product development teams, and support development and optimization of new technologies and methods.
- Be the organizational subject matter expert and a key individual within a cross-functional team establishing the product roadmap and strategy for Oncology. Provide scientific and technical expertise across the business within your specific areas of experience.
- Maintain knowledge of the field, staying up to date on new developments, literature and methods. Attend meetings and conferences (some travel is required both international & national).
- Working with commercial strategy managers and directors, develop the NPD strategy for our research areas of focus, making sure this is aligned to the needs of our customers.
- Support effective management and visibility of our product development pipeline and track progress against strategy, working closely with Project Managers, technical lab-based teams and commercial strategy teams.
Our ideal candidate will have significant research experience in Life Sciences and a strong background in oncology with a PhD in cell biology (or equivalent experience) and ideally with postdoctoral experience. A breadth and depth of understanding of key cell signalling pathways and practical knowledge of studying phosphorylation states and other post-translational modifications; as well as experience in antibody development, is desirable.
Previous experience within a commercial setting and/or project management experience would be an advantage, as will experience working with collaborators. Whilst the role does not typically entail laboratory work, significant experience with antibodies and the capacity to interpret and analyse scientific data is essential.
You will a strong technical skill set with hands on experience in using antibody validation techniques such as flow cytometry, western blotting, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry and ELISA. Experience using multiplex techniques is also desirable.
This role is not a supervisory role however you will be required to show technical leadership and influence across multiple teams. You will be highly organised, energetic, proactive, a strong team player and influencer. The role is variable and requires an ability to switch from task to task with effective time management. You must be comfortable working to deadlines and prioritising different aspects of your role. Additionally, you will be an effective communicator, comfortable building relationships within the team and across the business.
Advanced knowledge of using MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint would be advantageous.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.