Research Area Lead - Cardiovascular and Metabolism
About the role:
Abcam are a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists with a global reputation for excellent products with detailed technical specifications. We develop many products ourselves and take pride in their quality and performance. We are looking for a motivated scientist with comprehensive research experience in cardiovascular and metabolic disease to join our New Product Development (NPD) team within our Research and Development function (R&D). This role will represent the ‘voice of the scientist’, working closely with our global new product development and marketing teams to develop outstanding quality products for our customers working in these areas of research.
This is an important role that will contribute to technical evaluation and planning of our antibody generation projects, ensuring the quality of products developed in our labs meet our customer’s needs now and in the future. Essential to the role is extensive experience in antibody use and assay development skills. This role will also play an important part in developing and executing our NPD strategy for scientists working within the field of metabolic disease. The Research Area Lead role will report into the Director of New Product Development Programmes.
This job is based at our Cambridge (UK) site and is a full-time permanent role which will work closely with multiple teams in our global locations. We are open to job share options, please do note this on your application if a job share is of interest.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to steer and support the development of our products to aid researchers and scientists across the world to achieve their research missions, faster!
- Work closely with global NPD and marketing colleagues to establish, manage, support and troubleshoot new product development projects, supporting successful delivery of great new products.
- Set product quality and performance standards for our products (such as antibodies, ELISA kits and other assays, proteins and cell lines), working collaboratively with our NPD project managers globally.
- Develop and manage key product development collaborations and build a scientific network in the research communities we are serving.
- Ensure appropriate development and validation methods are in place across our product development teams, and support development and optimization of new technologies.
- Be the organizational subject matter expert and a key individual within a cross-functional team establishing the product roadmap and strategy for the Cardiovascular and Metabolism area. Provide scientific and technical expertise across the business within your specific areas of experience. Train and develop NPD colleagues.
- Maintain knowledge of the field, staying up to date on new developments, literature and methods. Attend meetings and conferences (some travel is required both international & national).
- Working with commercial strategy and marketing managers, develop the NPD strategy for our research areas of focus, making sure this is aligned to the needs of our customers.
- Support effective management and visibility of our product development pipeline and track progress against strategy, working closely with Project Managers, technical lab-based teams and marketing teams.
Our ideal candidate will have significant research experience in cardiovascular and metabolic health, with a PhD and ideally post-doctoral experience in these areas. Experience in antibody development is a plus. A breadth and depth of understanding of key pathways, disease processes, research direction and trends, unmet needs and significant advances in this field is desirable.
Previous experience within a commercial setting and/or project management experience would be an advantage, as will experience managing collaborations to deliver on your research goals. Whilst the role does not typically entail laboratory work, significant experience with antibodies and the capacity to interpret and analyse scientific data is essential.
You will have a strong technical skill set with hands on experience in using antibody validation techniques such as flow cytometry, western blotting, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry and ELISA. You will be proficient in a range of core skills including cell culture, molecular biology, protein expression and purification.
This role is not a supervisory role however you will be required to show leadership across multiple teams. You will be highly organised, energetic, proactive, a strong team player and influencer. You must be comfortable working to deadlines and managing multiple tasks. The ability to prioritise and be flexible is key. You will be an effective communicator, comfortable building relationships within the team, across the business and across cultures.
Advanced knowledge of using MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint would be advantageous.
If you have these skills and experience and you’re looking to work in a fast-paced, hard-working and close-knit team environment then apply now!
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We care about being inclusive and want our employees to bring their whole selves to work. We make all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We prefer to accept applications online, if you require an alternative method of applying please contact us at email@example.com.