Regional Head of Facilities - US
Abcam supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease by developing and manufacturing our own products in specialist facilities across the globe, as well as sourcing from over 400 partners. We offer scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, with 64% of global researchers using our products.
Our Workplace team are at the heart of supporting our teams to deliver for our customers, faster, and we are currently hiring a Regional Head of Facilties for the US to join us in our beautiful new US headquarters in Waltham, MA – but with accountability for all sites across the United States.
This is a great opportunity for a well-organized individual who has a growth mindset and loves learning new things, able to lead a team to continuously improve the employee experience at work through their physical workplace.
About the role
Reporting to the VP, Global Workplace and Infrastructure, our Regional Head of Facilities builds and leads a high performing team that create outstanding, flexible and safe workplaces (both lab and office) that allow our people to do our best work. Through their team leadership, they ensure our sites run like clockwork, and take a strategic view of our future footprint requirements, driving workplace expansions, integrations, and improvements.
Your focus will be split between leading the existing operation through your team and being hands on driving future plans. This role allows for great flexibility and autonomy, as well as an opportunity to lead on global workplace change projects.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Ensuring our sites run like clockwork
- You'll be leading, developing and growing your Site Lab/Workplace management team across your region to create plans and goals to evolve how we run our workplaces.
- Ensure cost effective and on-time maintenance and upkeep of all laboratory and office areas and equipment across multiples sites of varying complexity
- Take responsibility for the Workplace budget for your region, ensuring we get the best value for money through close collaboration with the procurement team, whilst also creating business cases for capital investment.
- Create and maintain crisis management and business continuity plans working with your team to ensure everyone's clear on their role and there's adequate support locally.
- Build strong relationships and work with our landlords, partners and workplace vendors, such as cleaning crew, waste management, security & fire management.
Creating an amazing experience for our teams
- Obtained through your own curiosity around our business and an ability to step into our team’s shoes, you’ll look for ways to create a frictionless experience, both within your region and globally
- Building a strong network in Abcam, act as the point of escalation for your team when we hit challenges, creating novel solutions to problems and influencing others to get things done
- Thinking Global First, you'll want to simplify our operations to create one consistent and simple operating model
- Ensure our site standards, design principles (e.g. flexible desking) are upheld and we provide clean and safe spaces for our teams to do their best work
- Work in partnership with the Digital Workplace Experience team to ensure opportunities for improving digital infrastructure are identified and we provide the tools our teams need to be the most effective in a flexible, hybrid working environment
Keep one eye on the future
- Working with the Global Footprint Programme Manager, you’ll maintain an understanding of future requirements to forecast and plan anticipated capacity growth, leading lab and office moves, site moves, fitouts and consolidations
- Identify initiatives and improvements to our workplace environment, working with your team to continuously improve our experience at work.
- You'll build strong relationships with all of our site leaders to pre-empt any issues that may arise, ensuring they are both consulted and informed where appropriate as well as welcoming their input into what’s needed for the future.
- As a member of the Global Workplace Team, you'll be inputting your ideas into our global strategy and then bringing this to life for your team, through your leadership.
Keep our People and Workplaces Safe
- Working with the Global and Regional Head of EHS, you'll be a great role model for safe working, and ensure safety is designed into everything we do.
- Maximizing the great ideas of your team you be passionate about identifying opportunities to reduce energy usage and reduce our impact on the planet, both small and large
What skills will you need?
- Previous Workplace/Facilities experience that includes Laboratory space, or similar
- A great people manager who cares about their team, their development and their careers. Ideally, you'll have obtained this in a multi-site setting or have the potential to make this next move.
- An attitude that starts with "yes" but is not afraid to say "no"
- Has a growth mindset, willing to learn new things and draws on expertise to find out the answer
- Great communicator that wins hearts and minds
- Able to keep up with change and ambiguity
- Champion of our Company Culture and behaviors - Agile, Dedicated and Audacious
- Is curious about our business and always thinks of the future
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998,?Abcam plc?(www.abcamplc.com)?began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.??
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this?outcome,?the company?both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe,?and?sources?from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.?
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam believes we are best when we are diverse – we are building a culture of inclusion where difference characteristics and backgrounds come together in pursuit of our purpose. It’s this mix of people the allows us to create great science and reflect the diversity of those we serve – be yourself and encourage others to be themselves too.
As such, we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and make all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.